Job TitleField Technician – Information Technology (Onsite)
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Staff
Salary Range $ 25.00 per hour
Location Claremont, CA, USA
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Claremont Colleges Services (TCCS) seeks a self-starting, adventurous, and reliable computer professional for the position of Field Technician for the Information Technology department.
- An exciting and challenging role for a technician who thrives on adventure! There is no “typical day”. You’ll get on-the-job exposure to multiple technologies and a variety of situations in a unique and very diverse work environment.
- Great opportunity to learn and develop skills and knowledge for an energetic and dynamic individual early in their career or transitioning into a networking profession.
- Enjoy working mostly independently with a supervisor and team that will support and trust you.
The Field Technician is responsible for supporting the Network Services provided by TCC IT (The Claremont Colleges Information Technology). The Field Technician is the first line of direct support for network-related issues reported by clients. This position helps support a comprehensive network infrastructure and telecommunications systems. Responsibilities include being dispatched to implement and maintain wireless, Ethernet, and VoIP infrastructures, and supporting system users’ needs and priorities. This position requires being part of a collaborative team that works on various projects and services. The Field Technician must be flexible, highly proactive, and a strong innovator, capable of participating in various projects that cross departmental and operational boundaries. This position reports to the Director of Infrastructure Services. Specific duties include:
- Monitor data center facilities, networks, systems, and telephony infrastructure.
- Install computer, storage, and network infrastructure into cages and racks in data centers and co-location facilities.
- Perform basic indoor/outdoor cable plant management. Install, tone, test, and terminate.
- Open tickets with carriers and data center providers.
- Coordinate with remote technicians.
- Participate in coordinated, scheduled maintenance activities with multiple parties in multiple locations.
- Upgrade software and firmware on production hardware during maintenance windows. Some afterhours work will be required.
- Conduct conference calls.
- Place test calls in support of telephony infrastructure.
- Follow documented procedures.
- Respond to support requests via email, tickets, in person, phone, etc.
- Periodically and rhythmically inspect graphs and charts in real time.
- Participate in the rotation of afterhours on-call responsibilities.
- Perform other related duties as assigned, both onsite and in other locations.
Work Schedule: The regular hours for this full-time position are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Must be able and willing to work on-call and overtime hours as needed. May be required to work holiday, weekend, and/or evening hours. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the organization or business unit.
Vaccination: TCCS requires the COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. New employees are required to present evidence of complete COVID-19 vaccination within 30 calendar days of hire, unless a medical or religious accommodation or exemption is requested and granted.
Pay: The pay rate is $25.00 per hour.
Benefits: We are delighted to offer a comprehensive employment benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 10% retirement contributions (no matching required), tuition benefits for employees and their dependents, $50,000 group life insurance, generous time off, professional development funds, discounts for mobile plans, software, and entertainment, and access to fitness facilities and classes. For more information about our full range of generous benefits please visit https://services.claremont.edu/benefits-administration/. Benefits are subject to the terms and conditions in the plan or policy documents.
You are a technology enthusiast! You are an adventurous, energetic, and ingenious computer professional with a passion for learning every day. You enjoy variety in your workday, have fun solving puzzles and challenges, and are confident in stepping up to solve new and unusual problems. You are positive and caring with your team and clients and are able to be tactful and effective in your communications. You have integrity, dependability, and take pride in your work.
Education: You have a high school diploma or the equivalent.
Experience: At least six (6) months of full-time (or the equivalent in part-time) experience supporting and maintaining network systems in a professional work environment. Experience must include:
- Providing excellent customer service
- Working with networking technologies in a large network environment including one or more of the following: routers, switches, firewalls, VPNs, and wireless.
Other: You have a valid driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to TCCS’s automobile liability insurer.
In addition, you have:
a) Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
b) Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English with the ability to communicate technological information and concepts to individuals at all competency levels.
c) A strong ability to gather and analyze data, such a system logs, to troubleshoot and report.
d) Strong initiative and a willingness to assess an issue and problem solve independently. You demonstrate a genuine desire to help and to be part of the solution.
e) Good judgement on when to reach out to ask questions and/or ask for assistance.
f) Strong knowledge of help desk ticketing systems such as Footprints, ServiceNow, or Remedy.
g) The ability to complete most of your work independently, and also work well as part of a team as the work calls for it.
h) The ability to balance multiple competing priorities in fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
i) The ability and willingness to improve your skills, abilities, and knowledge on a constant basis.
j) The ability and comfort in working with ambiguity, constant change, and quick changes in priority.
k) Skills in the use of the full Microsoft Office suite (current versions).
l) The ability to learn and navigate with tact the structure and dynamics of the diverse clients served.
m) The ability and comfort in speaking with clients at all levels of the organization and leaving a positive impression.
n) The ability to learn and understand the basic function of TCCS divisions/teams and the workflow between them; build and maintain positive working relationships and keep assigned clients well informed of issues and changes.
o) The ability and willingness to participate constructively in meetings with relevant, concise, and reasoned analysis.
p) The ability to follow and promote safety procedures and regulations and perform all duties accordingly.
Physically you can:
- Wear protective clothing and equipment as required by the tasks being performed;
- Use power and hand tools common to support network infrastructure;
- Maintain energy and stamina to perform a physical job for a full-time schedule;
- Work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Climb ladders, crawl in attics, and under buildings;
- Lift and carry heavy equipment up to 40 pounds unassisted;
- Stretch, reach overhead and outward, bend, stoop, and kneel; and
- Work from heights, in tight spaces, and in uncomfortable positions.
We would also really prefer it if you have the following:
Certification in network and/or systems hardware (e.g., Cisco, Dell, HP, etc.)
Experience creating and maintaining documentation and inventory records
Experience participating and contributing to a diverse, cross-functional team
Review of applications is in progress. Applications are only accepted through our applicant portal at https://theclaremontcolleges.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/TCCS_Careers.
Additional Materials: Please have the following items as a Word or PDF file ready to upload to complete your application:
(1) Resume: Include relevant knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience (with dates),
(2) Cover Letter*: Briefly, describe:
- (a) How this Field Technician position at TCCS fits into your career goals, and
- (b) What qualities and/or qualifications make you the right person for this position.
* Note: Given that this position requires little previous experience, the Cover Letter is particularly important in helping us learn about you and understand if you are the right person to be successful in this role.
Reference Check: Applicants who are selected to move forward in consideration will be required to provide the names and contact information of at least (2) individuals who can complete a Reference Check and speak to the qualifications of the applicant