Job TitleAssistant Vice President for Employee Services, Chief Human Resources Officer
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Executive
Salary Range -
Location Worcester, MA US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Academic Career & Executive Search
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com.
Worcester State University
Assistant Vice President for Employee Services, Chief Human Resources Officer
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Worcester State University in its search for Assistant Vice President for Employee Services, Chief Human Resources Officer.
For best consideration, please apply by December 26th.
This is a remarkable opportunity for a results-driven leader skilled in best HR practices to serve as the Assistant Vice President for Employee Services, Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) at Worcester State University. The successful candidate is responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of compensation and benefits, talent acquisition, learning and development, employee relations, HR systems and strategy, and employment policy development.
The next CHRO functions as a member of the senior management team responsible for instituting policies and procedures that provide effective internal management of the organization. Additionally, this position is responsible for accelerating organizational performance through strategic planning and organizational effectiveness.
The Assistant Vice President for Employee Services, Chief Human Resources Officer is responsible for the leadership, direction, and administration of the human resources and payroll operations for a public university. The incumbent is responsible for providing strategic leadership to guide the University’s efforts to appropriately staff its departments to achieve the mission and goals of the strategic plan.
This position reports to the Vice President of Administration & Finance/CFO and is a member of the President’s Executive Cabinet.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recommends plans, programs, policies, and procedures and provides leadership in all areas of responsibility. Serves as a member of Cabinet and senior leadership team. Educates and advises the executive team on strategic HR issues as a factor in decision-making.
- Oversees regulatory compliance with applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and statutes
- Oversees and ensures proper authorization of all personnel actions
- Oversees the generation of internally and externally requested or mandated reports in the Department, and develops, manages, and oversees the maintenance of all Human Resource and Payroll Information Systems.
- Ensures the maintenance, accuracy, and retention of all personnel records, including the official personnel files of all administrators and staff.
- Oversees the management of the position classification and compensation of all state exempt and non-exempt titles
- Responsible for the administration of the HR/CMS (state payroll system).
- Develops and implements a system for the analysis and compensation of positions in the administrative workforce; conducts periodic compensation audits.
- Oversees the implementation of evaluation systems for all personnel.
- Oversees the implementation of collective bargaining agreements, including the grievance functions of the contracts, and provides direction to academic and administrative personnel on collective bargaining matters.
- Oversees and participates in all Employee Relations Programs as necessary, including but not limited to: Employee Communications, Employee Recognition Programs Health and Recreation Programs, Life Planning Programs, employee referral services, the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Oversees the administration of all fringe benefit programs including health and dental insurance, life insurance, long term disability insurance, Dependent Care Program, retirement programs, and Tuition Remission Program.
- Oversees the administration of the Worker’s Compensation Program and may represent the College at conciliations, conferences, and hearings.
- Oversees the university’s remote and hybrid work programs.
- Oversees and participates, as needed in the development and implementation of all Employee Onboarding and Employee Development Programs
- Serves as internal consultant for executives, managers, and supervisors in dealing with employee performance and disciplinary issues. As needed creates conflict resolution strategies and processes throughout the organization.
- Responsible for the integrity and use of the applicant tracking, onboarding, and background check systems, including CORI checks.
- Oversees the maintenance of employee data in a manner that complies with current collective bargaining agreements and applicable laws.
- Oversees and/or participates in orientation sessions for new employees.
- Develops and maintains the Employee Services budget
- Serves on committees as assigned by the Vice President or President.
- Demonstrates civility and professional, customer-service oriented behavior, worthy of emulation by other staff and students.
- Responsible for contributing to the Worcester State University Strategic Plan.
- Responsible for contributing to Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- At least 10 years of full-time, progressively responsible, professional experience in human resources
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience in human resources
- Experience as a human resource administrator in a collective bargaining environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to address challenging and complicated situations tactfully and appropriately
- Ability to work effectively in a remote capacity, when necessary
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to effectively balance multiple tasks with competing deadlines and demands
- Ability to remain objective in all situations and appropriately apply logic and the parameters of collective bargaining agreements, regulations, law, policies, etc. always
- Ability to successfully pass a thorough background check and CORI check
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Knowledge of current trends and issues in the Human Resources field
- Master’s degree in business management, human resource management, or similar field
Professional HR certification(s)
- Experience working in higher education
About the Institution
For over 20 years, Worcester State University has been ranked a top university, regionally and nationally, and has been named a best value in education by local and national organizations.
That is because, despite being a public university, Worcester State maintains small class sizes and a low faculty to student ratio. And, year after year, graduates in large numbers go on to exciting and rewarding careers or further their studies in graduate school. Worcester State University offers 60 undergraduate majors and minors, 29 master’s degrees, post-baccalaureate certificates, and graduate programs, and real-time access to online, noncredit professional training. Our accreditation by the New England Commission on Higher Education, Inc. (NECHE), formerly the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), demonstrates that our liberal arts and sciences curriculum meets or exceeds its criteria for assessment of quality.
Worcester State University is state-supported, and that puts an excellent undergraduate and graduate education, rooted in the liberal arts and sciences, within reach for so many. Our commitment to academic excellence and affordability earned us the following recognition:
- We are the only Massachusetts state university to receive the “Best in the Northeast” ranking for 14 consecutive years.
- We have made The Princeton Review’s list of the nation’s “Best Value Colleges.”
Living in the Area
A vibrant and diverse community nicknamed The Heart of the Commonwealth, Worcester, Massachusetts, is located approximately 40 miles (64 km) west of Boston and 38 miles (61 km) east of Springfield. More than 940,000 people call the rolling hills of this metro area home. Worcester is known as the “Heart of the Commonwealth” because of its location in the center of Massachusetts. In fact, a heart is the official symbol of the city. New England’s second-largest city is an affordable place to live on the East Coast, offering plenty of job opportunities, family-friendly things to do, and some of the best craft breweries in the Northeast.
With its affordable housing, green parks, quality hospitals and proximity to a dozen highly esteemed colleges and universities, there is a unique vitality to this metro area. Worcester provides an excellent cultural life, including restaurants, concert and theater venues, and the Worcester Art Museum. You may hear locals refer to their home as “Wormtown,” a nod to Worcester’s underground music scene.
Like most large metro areas, Worcester’s diverse neighborhoods yield different experiences. Downtown attracts students and other young people, while families tend to gravitate toward the numerous parks, lakes and playgrounds found in the suburbs. Each neighborhood has its own personality as well, from the Italian restaurants that line Shrewsbury Street to the historic Victorian and Queen Anne homes in the West Side area.
U.S. News and World Report recently ranked Worcester third on its list of “Safest Places to Live in the U.S.” confirming what our students have been saying for years: Worcester is a great place to live. The New York Times attributes Worcester’s appeal to:
- Numerous civic amenities
- Busy public transit hub
- Comfortable and affordable housing
- New and exciting restaurants and watering holes
- Computer stores and coffee shops
- Performance arts theater
- Biotech research facilities
- Incubators and office space for start-up companies
- Renovated parks
- Ice rink larger than the one in Rockefeller Center
- The top urban demographic and economic performances in New England
For best consideration, please apply by December 26th.
To be viewed by the search firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjyj00ms
Please do not email applications.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vita. Ideally cover letters should not exceed two pages. All applications are treated confidentially.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially:
Inquiries and questions: Please send to WorcesterStateHR@acesrh.com
Nominations and referrals: Please send to email@example.com
Institution’s EEO Statement
Worcester State University maintains and promotes a policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital or parental status, or veteran status.
Boise State University
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com. Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased…View Job