Job TitleSenior Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Executive
Salary Range -
Location Akron, OH US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com.
University of Akron
Senior Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist the University of Akron in its search for Senior Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs.
For best consideration, please apply by August 25, 2022.
The Senior Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs role offers an ideal opportunity to join an energized leadership team and campus community in creating an exceptional experience for both faculty and students. This position is well-suited for a skilled academic administrator and communicator adept at working across campus and successfully weaving the goals and needs of administration, faculty, staff, and students. The successful candidate works equally well developing and meeting the programmatic needs of external constituents.
The Senior Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs oversees and coordinates a wide range of strategic initiatives for the Office of Academic Affairs. Reporting directly to the Executive Vice President and Provost, the Senior Vice Provost provides leadership in the areas of accreditation and academic policies, as well as faculty hiring, development, and support. The Senior Vice Provost works in collaboration with the deans and department chairs, Faculty Senate, University Council, Vice President for Student Affairs, Chief Financial Officer, and the Associate Vice Provost for Student Pathways to support the success of students, faculty, and academic programs. The Senior Vice Provost reports to the provost and is a member of the President’s Cabinet, provost’s staff, and the Deans’ and Provost’s Councils, and represents the Provost when necessary. The Senior Vice Provost will:
- Serve as a liaison to the college deans to facilitate communication with the Executive Vice President and Provost;
- Foster shared governance through collaboration with the Faculty Senate and University Council;
- Promote interdisciplinary and experiential learning initiatives and activities;
Support recruitment and retention of distinguished, diverse faculty to support the mission of the university;
- Facilitate the development of high quality online academic, credential-based, and continuing education programs to increase enrollment and generate revenue;
- Oversee the HLC accreditation process and serve as the Accreditation Liaison Officer;
- Represent the University of Akron on relevant ODHE initiatives;
- Supervise units, including the Institute for Teaching, Learning, and Academic Innovation; EXL Center, Cummings Center, Hower House, and others assigned by the EVP/Provost; and
- Supervise Academic Affairs office staff.
- Earned doctorate or terminal degree from an accredited institution.
- Experience in academic personnel administration, policies and procedures.
- Ability to successfully provide leadership and function effectively on the provost’s senior leadership team.
- Extensive understanding of a university’s promotion and tenure process.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully develop and implement professional development programs/opportunities for faculty at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with faculty governance.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Proven ability to manage projects and multiple assignments with attention to detail and deadlines.
- Excellent analytical, planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Earned doctorate degree with academic credentials consistent with appointment as a tenured faculty as demonstrated by a distinguished record of teaching, scholarly publications, and/or creative accomplishments that exhibit commitment to academic excellence.
- Progressive higher education administration leadership responsibility.
- Experience sufficient to serve as Acting Provost in times of emergent need.
- Experience working collaboratively with unionized faculty.
About the Institution
The University of Akron (UA) is among Ohio’s most influential public urban research universities, conducting high quality research in focused areas of excellence, contributing to the vitality of the local economy and providing a workforce in highly trained diverse disciplines. UA offers nearly 17,000 students a wide variety of in-demand associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral and professional degree programs. UA is a STEM-intensive institution which has strong connections with industries including polymers, advanced materials and engineering. UA brings together a group of diverse learners, including full-time, part-time, on-line, veterans and adult students. Students are enrolled across five colleges: 1) College of Engineering and Polymer Science, 2) Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences, 3) College of Business, 4) Law and 5) College of Health and Human Sciences. In addition, students are served by several branch campuses.
Living in the Area
With a population of nearly 200,000, Akron is perfect for those looking for a city with a small-town feel. With more than 20 distinct neighborhoods, the city offers residents a wide array of benefits including a vibrant downtown, delicious dining, diverse and thriving arts and cultural scene, outdoor activities including the San Run Metro Park with over 41 miles of hiking trails and Towpath Trail with 87 miles of Ohio’s most scenic countryside and numerous small lakes. The city is further supported by public transportation including buses, Amtrak, and the Akron-Canton Airport. Akron enjoys a cost of living 30.5% below the national average.
Akron is only 40 minutes from Cleveland, 30 minutes from Canton and about two hours from both Columbus and Pittsburgh. The city has a strong pro-business climate and strategically located to promote opportunities. Akron is the corporate home to numerous companies and its largest employer, Summa Health Systems provides jobs to nearly 11,000 people.
For best consideration, please apply by August 25, 2022.
Please do not email your application materials. Only applications submitted through the link will be accepted.
Materials should include a cover letter and CV.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially:
Inquiries and questions should be sent to email@example.com
Nominations should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Akron is committed to providing a safe environment for all students and employees. The University endeavors to protect the health, welfare and safety of all students, employees and visitors on our campus. As such, the University will require a pre-employment background check and proof of COVID-19 vaccination for all applicants selected for employment.
Effective December 13, 2021, new hires must present proof of COVID-19 vaccination, if vaccines are available and the employee is eligible, at time of hire. If a new employee is not fully vaccinated at the time of hire, the offer of employment will be contingent upon the employee becoming fully vaccinated within 60 days of hire, unless a qualifying medical or religious exemption is granted.
As a result of the federal government’s Executive order 14042, the University is no longer able to accept/approve an exemption from the University’s vaccine requirement for reasons of conscience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Akron, as an equal education and employment institution, is committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified individuals in its education programs or activities, including applicants for admissions or employment, will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, military status or status as a veteran. To further this commitment, the University complies with state and federal laws which prohibit discrimination. Questions or concerns about the administration of this commitment can be directed to the University’s Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Office (uakron.edu/hr/eeoaa).
The University also strives to provide an environment free from the negative impacts of gender-based discrimination and harassment as prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972. Questions about Title IX can be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, the Assistant Secretary for the U.S. Department of Education or both. For more information on Title IX at the University of Akron, including how to contact the Title IX Coordinator, how to file a complaint under Title IX with the University or the Title IX process at the University of Akron, please visit the University’s Title IX page at uakron.edu/title-ix/at-uakron.
Henry Ford Health
To apply for this job please visit p.rfer.us. POSITION SUMMARY The Chair of Ophthalmology –…View Job
The University of Scranton
To apply for this job please visit www.imsearch.com. An Invitation to Apply for the Position…View Job
Boise State University
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com. Boise State University Vice President for Student…View Job