Job TitleSummer Research Assistant/Associate, Center for Computational Neuroscience
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Researcher/Fellowship
Salary Range -
Location New York, NY US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Simons Foundation
To apply for this job please visit http://www.click2apply.net.
160 Fifth Avenue
The Center for Computational Neuroscience (CCN) aims to develop theories, models, and computational methods that deepen our knowledge of brain function – both in health and in disease. CCN takes a “systems” neuroscience approach, building models that are motivated by fundamental principles, that are constrained by properties of neural circuits and responses, and that provide insights into perception, cognition and behavior. This cross-disciplinary approach not only leads to the design of new model-driven scientific experiments, but also encapsulates current functional descriptions of the brain that can spur the development of new engineered computational systems, especially in the realm of machine learning. CCN is one of five centers that make up the Flatiron Institute, an internal scientific unit of the Simons Foundation, focused on computational aspects of a wide range of basic science. The mission of the Flatiron Institute is to advance scientific research through computational methods, including theory, modeling, simulation and data analysis.
CCN’s research groups include computational vision ( Eero Simoncelli , PI), neural circuits and algorithms ( Dmitri ‘Mitya’ Chklovskii , PI), neuroAI and geometric data analysis ( SueYeon Chung , PI), and statistical analysis of neural data ( Alex Williams , PI).
CCN invites applications for paid summer internships by motivated graduate or advanced undergraduate students in physics, electrical engineering, machine learning, computer science or related fields (advanced doctoral students are encouraged to apply instead to CCN’s Summer Predoc Program, which runs concurrently). Knowledge of neuroscience is helpful but not required. Undergraduate students will be appointed with the title of Summer Research Assistant, while graduate students will be appointed with the title, Summer Research Associates.
CCN interns are invited to participate as full members of the CCN and Flatiron Institute communities during their internship. CCN interns are assigned a primary mentor and research group within the center, are invited to attend and present within their research group’s meetings, and are also invited to participate in meetings of CCN’s other research groups as well as center- and Flatiron-wide activities such as guest lectures, training on use of the Institute’s robust scientific computing resources, and intern social activities. Finally, interns will be invited to present their work at a Institute-wide symposium held at the end of the internship period.
This internship will take place in-person at the Simons Foundation’s offices in New York City. CCN will provide roundtrip travel to and from New York City as well as housing for interns based outside of New York City.
Visit the Flatiron Institute career page to learn more.
- Reporting to the assigned mentor in the CCN, the projects will involve analysis of neuroscience data and modeling networks, applying the skills of analytical calculations and computer programming
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required
- Candidates should be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program majoring in electrical engineering, physics, computer science or related field.
- Experience with research projects in electrical engineering, computer science physics or related fields is helpful.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
- The successful applicant should have experience with programming in Matlab, Python, or C
- The applicant should have satisfactorily completed Cal III and Linear Algebra
- The applicant should have experience with basic optimization and machine learning techniques
- Elementary knowledge of neuroscience is helpful
Intern Semesters and Deadlines
- Summer Internship Period: May 30 to August 11
- Deadline to apply: February 1, 2023
Decisions will be made on a rolling basis through Friday, March 17, 2023.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Curriculum vitae with bibliography or resume;
- Cover letter of no more than two pages describing the candidate’s past research experience and what they hope to gain from a summer internship at the Flatiron Institute.
- Provide current, unofficial transcripts for all universities you have attended.
- Interns at the Research Assistant (undergraduate) level will earn $20.00 per hour
- Interns at the Research Associate (graduate) level will earn $25.00 per hour
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION’S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Post-doctoral Fellowship in Consumer Behavior at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business
University of Virginia, Darden School of Business
To apply for this job please visit uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com. The Marketing Area at the University of…View Job