Job TitleFacility Director (Research Assistant Professor or Research Associate Professor) – Radio Frequency and Millimeter Wave Laboratory – CUNY Advanced Science Research Center
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Administrator Faculty Researcher/Fellowship
Salary Range -
Location New York, NY US
Deadline September 11, 2022
Contact Name -
To apply for this job please visit academicjobsonline.org.
Position Title: Facility Director (Research Assistant Professor or Research Associate Professor) – Radio Frequency and Millimeter Wave Laboratory – CUNY Advanced Science Research Center
Job ID: 24688
Closing Date: Open until filled
Research faculty engage in, are responsible for, manage, and/or execute significant areas of research or scholarship. They may serve as principal or co-principal investigators on grants or contracts, manage postdoctoral fellows and their research projects or supervise graduate or undergraduate student research. Research Faculty hold full-time, non-tenure track positions. While they may participate in instructional programs, such as lectures or demonstrations, they are not assigned regular teaching duties.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Graduate Center is the focal point for advanced teaching and research at The City University of New York (CUNY), the nation’s largest urban public university. With over 35 doctoral and master’s programs of the highest caliber, the Graduate Center fosters pioneering research and scholarship in the arts and sciences and prepares students for careers in universities and the private, nonprofit, and government sectors. The Graduate Center’s commitment to research and scholarship for the public good is exemplified by its more than 30 centers, institutes, and initiatives, including its Advanced Science Research Center (ASRC), a 200,000 square-foot facility in upper Manhattan, designed to promote collaboration among scientists in five areas of global research and innovation: nanoscience, photonics, structural biology, neuroscience, and environmental sciences.
The Graduate Center (GC) benefits from highly ambitious and diverse students and alumni, who in turn teach hundreds of thousands of undergraduates every year. Through its public programs, the Graduate Center enhances New York City’s intellectual and cultural life.
The ASRC’s Photonics Initiative has established itself as a leading research center in New York City, nationwide and internationally. The Photonics Initiative has over 40 active researchers and two established core user facilities in nanophotonics and in radio frequency (RF) and millimeter waves, with a broad range of users from across CUNY, other academic institutions, and industry. The RF Core houses a research dedicated, state-of-the-art radio frequency lab equipped with infrastructure for rapid circuit and metamaterials fabrication and characterization of circuits and radio through millimeter electromagnetic wave using a full suite of electronics tools and automated tabletop and full anechoic chamber.
We seek an outstanding scientist with a strong record of research accomplishments in one or more of the following fields: radio-, millimeter-wave or terahertz technologies, plasmonics, metamaterials, and other fields broadly related to electromagnetics and its applications. The RF Laboratory Facility Director (Research Assistant Professor or Research Associate Professor) reports to the Director of the Photonics Initiative, and works closely and collaboratively with internal and external scientists to effectively use the Core’s equipment and conduct related research. The successful candidate will have the opportunity collaborate in the scientific areas supported at the ASRC, and will be encouraged to develop and drive an independent research program focused around electromagnetics. In addition, the incumbent directs the day-today operation and management of the RF facility.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Actively participates in collaborative research within the ASRC and seeks new collaborative projects within CUNY and externally.
- Supervises researchers, graduate and undergraduate students.
- Seeks funding to support research activities; assists with preparation of grant proposals, presentations, and publications.
- Refines and adapts methodologies to fit specific experiment requirements.
- Investigates and recommends alternative approaches to improve the quality of experiment results.
- Contributes to dissemination of results through workshops, seminars, and publications.
- Serves as the lead for the setup and operation of the RF Laboratory facility; oversees the RF Laboratory facility’s daily operations schedule and technical environment while exercising considerable latitude, independent judgment, and accountability; maintains laboratory, instruments, and computers; plans and manages reservations and access to the facility including for regular user meetings.
- Designs, develops, and oversees quality control procedures and analytical methods.
- Supervises, advises, and trains internal and external users, with varying degrees of experience, in experimental design, sample preparation, imaging and data interpretation; creates training manuals for users.
- Trains research staff in specialized procedures and theoretical concepts to ensure projects are administered according to research protocol.
- Creates the budget for the facility and its equipment.
- Contributes to planning of extensions or updates of the facility to achieve optimal research capabilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law.
Until further notice, this is a hybrid position, eligible to work remotely and work in the office. All CUNY employees must reside within a commutable distance to their campus.
Ph.D. in area(s) of expertise or equivalent. Also required are success in carrying out research and ability to advise and/or oversee the direct work of others.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Ph.D. in engineering, physics, mathematics, optical sciences, or a related field.
- Extensive experience with electromagnetic and electronic equipment and research.
- Experience in equipment installation, implementation of relevant upgrades and improvements, and liaising with suppliers.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a proven ability to learn and teach in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to work independently or in teams.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with basic, applied and clinical scientists.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development
How to Apply:
Please apply on https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/22150
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter (2 pages maximum)
- Summarize your research accomplishments and your fit for the Photonics Initiative at the CUNY ASRC, including your interests and approaches to interdisciplinary research
- Core Research Focus and Development Plan (three pages maximum)
- Describe your vision to shape the Core and its research directions and capabilities
- Contact information for three professional references (name, title, and organization).
Equal Employment Opportunity
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Fielding Graduate University
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com. Senior Graduate Program Advisor, Office of…View Job