Visiting Assistant Professor of International Relations, Political Science DepartmentWhitworth University
Job TitleVisiting Assistant Professor of International Relations, Political Science Department
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Faculty
Salary Range -
Location Spokane, WA US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
POLITICAL SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Since 1890, Whitworth University, a private, residential, comprehensive, master’s-level, liberal-arts institution affiliated with the Presbyterian church, has held fast to its founding mission to provide its students an education of mind and heart characterized by rigorous and open intellectual inquiry and the integration of Christian faith and learning. Anchored in the Reformed tradition and enriched throughout its history by strong evangelical and ecumenical currents, Whitworth’s mission is carried out by a diverse community of dedicated Christian scholars and staff members who are called to a variety of vocations to serve and support students. Whitworth believes the best learning occurs in the context of relationship – inside and outside of the classroom – where professors and staff members alike invest in the lives of students. Whitworth is committed to modeling the highest standards of integrity and fairness and being a trusted and valued member of the community.
The Political Science department, a four-member department with a strong teaching and publication tradition, is announcing a one year visiting position at the rank of assistant professor with the possibility of consideration for future tenure-track appointment. The political science faculty at Whitworth has a common interest in justice and reconciliation—both international and domestic. We are looking for a candidate who will add to our strength in that area.
STARTING DATE: Fall 2023
PRIMARY TEACHING OPPORTUNITIES:
Teach an annual seven course load with a primary focus on international relations. International Relations will be taught each semester and the remaining courses will be geared toward the candidate’s expertise. Training, or experience teaching, in one or more of the following is especially welcome: environmental politics, peace and conflict studies, area studies (other than sub-Saharan Africa).
OTHER OPPORTUNITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Possibility of developing new courses that contribute to the university’s innovative, interdisciplinary Shared Curriculum. Additional responsibilities include participation in departmental activities and governance, professional and research activities, attending state, regional and national professional association meetings; attending faculty assemblies, development days, and retreat, serving on committees, and advising.
REQUIRED JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Evidence of promise in effectiveness at college-level teaching (demonstrated effectiveness preferred)
• A personal commitment to the Christian faith and to the integration of faith and learning
• Strong potential for an on-going stream of research in the candidate’s area of specialization
• Demonstrated growth in cultural competence, awareness of societal and structural inequities and proven experience in effectively establishing relationships and positive communications with students and other constituents across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to, race, gender, varying abilities, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, class or religious perspectives
• A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth University as a comprehensive Christian liberal arts university affiliated with the Presbyterian church
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. or ABD in Political Science
Term: 9 months (academic year)
Hiring Range: $57,010 to $63,718
Commensurate with years of credited service. 1.75% increase to the minimum salary is granted for each year of credited service at the rank of Assistant Professor.
TO APPLY: Please submit to email@example.com
• a letter of application addressing your qualifications for the position and interest in teaching at a Christian liberal arts university with an increasingly diverse student body,
• curriculum vitae,
• your teaching philosophy,
• a short personal essay describing your personal Christian faith. This essay is intended to be a statement in your own words that will help the committee to understand your interest in joining Whitworth’s community of Christian scholars. (https://www.whitworth.edu/facultyfaithessay/),
• three most recent student feedback surveys,
• names, addresses, email address and phone numbers of at least three academic references (one or more additional non-academic references who are able to speak to your qualifications for the position may also be included).
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: A background check, sexual misconduct check, and confirmation of degrees earned will be required of the successful candidate
DEADLINE: Application materials will be received until the position is filled. Initial screening of applicants will begin immediately.
Whitworth complies with all federal, state, and local nondiscrimination laws that are applicable to religious nonprofit institutions and does not engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, or disability. With our Christ-centered commitment to building a diverse and inclusive community, the university encourages applications from populations underrepresented at Whitworth including members of racial/ethnic communities, women, and persons with disabilities.
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN ANCIENT STUDIES/CLASSICS
To apply for this job please visit apply.interfolio.com. SCRIPPS COLLEGE, CLAREMONT, CALIFORNIA 91711 TENURE TRACK…View Job
Visiting Assistant Teaching Professor of Music History and Cultures-JOB#077028
To apply for this job please visit www.sujobopps.com. Visiting Assistant Teaching Professor of Music History…View Job
Professor, Clinical Full-Time, Physician Assistant Program Director, Robbins College
To apply for this job please visit apply.interfolio.com. Baylor University: Office of the Provost: Robbins…View Job
CLINICAL ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, PUBLISHING
New York University School of Professional Studies
To apply for this job please visit apply.interfolio.com. CLINICAL ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, PUBLISHING New York University…View Job