Job TitleAssistant Professor in International Relations
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Faculty
Salary Range -
Location Spokane, WA
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
Assistant Professor in International Relations
Salary: $57,010.00 – $63,718.00 Annually
Job Type: Faculty (tenure track)
Location: Whitworth University Campus
Department: Political Science
Founded in 1890, Whitworth has been consistently ranked among the top regional colleges and universities in the West. In its strong liberal arts undergraduate education and graduate program, Whitworth combines the Christian heritage of the University, its commitment to academic rigor, and its long-standing orientation toward human service. A community of Christian scholars carries out the university’s mission “to provide its diverse student body an education of the mind and heart.”
The Political Science department, a four-member department with a strong teaching and publication tradition, is announcing a tenure-track position at the rank of assistant professor beginning fall 2024. The political science faculty at Whitworth has a shared interest in promoting justice and reconciliation, both domestic and international. We are looking for a candidate who will join us in those efforts and bring their own strengths to our welcoming community.
Application Review will begin December 8, 2023
This colleague will teach seven courses annually with a primary focus on International Relations. The full-time teaching load consists of three courses in the fall, three courses in the spring, and a course in January-term. Teaching responsibilities include Introduction to International Relations, as well as upper division courses in the colleague’s areas of specialization. The ability to offer courses in one or more of the following areas is strongly desired: environmental politics, area studies (other than sub-Saharan Africa), and/or peace and conflict studies. Course offerings that engage issues of gender, race, ethnicity, and/or faith are very welcome. Candidates are encouraged to note if they have a particular interest in participating in the university’s well-established off-campus study programs and/or its general education program.
Additional responsibilities include participation in departmental activities and governance; professional and research activities, attending state, regional, and national professional association meetings; attending faculty assemblies, development days, and retreats, serving on committees, and advising.
Minimum Qualifications | Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ph.D. or ABD in political science
• Demonstrated effectiveness at college-level teaching
• A personal commitment to the Christian faith and to the integration of faith and learning
• Commitment to providing an equitable, just, and inclusive learning environment for all students.
• Demonstrated growth in cultural competence, awareness of societal and structural inequities, and proven experience in effectively establishing relationships and positive communications with students and other constituents across multiple dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to, race, gender, varying abilities, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, class or religious perspectives
• A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth University as a comprehensive Christian liberal arts university affiliated with the Presbyterian church
• The ability and desire to establish a positive relationship with persons regardless of race, gender, physical limitation, or religious belief.
• Strong potential for an ongoing stream of research in the candidate’s area of specialization
• A personal commitment to the Christian faith.
• The ability to communicate effectively in the language of instruction (English)
• A commitment to equal opportunity for all persons
• A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth as a Christian liberal arts institution.
Salary Assistant Professor in International Relations Term: 9 monthsHiring range: $57,010 to $63,718Commensurate with years of credited service. 1.75% increase to the minimum salary is granted for each year of credited service at the rank of Assistant Professor.The application will ask for the following attachments:
• A letter of interest that describes your approach to teaching and directing and relates your experience to the required qualifications of the position.
• Curriculum Vitae
• A short personal essay describing your personal Christian faith. This essay is intended to be a statement in your own words that will help the committee understand your interest in joining Whitworth’s community of Christian scholars and integrating your faith into your teaching.
• Three most recent student feedback surveys (if available).
• Names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three academic references (one or more additional non-academic references who are able to speak to your qualifications for the position may also be included).
A background check, sexual misconduct check, and confirmation of degrees earned will be required of the successful candidate.
You are on this webpage because a position at Whitworth sparked your curiosity. If you find yourself questioning hitting the apply button because you might not meet 100% of the qualifications, we think you should do it! Research continues to show that women and BIPOC candidates are less likely to hit the apply button unless they meet all the listed qualifications. One way we are working to overcome this trend is every search committee at Whitworth has a trained Equity Advocate (EA) serving on the team. Our EAs are trained to make space for committees to consider each candidate’s unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when you click apply, please know that your application is reviewed by a committee of real, living, and breathing human beings who want to understand your experience and skills to find ways you relate to the key competencies needed for success in the position.
Looking for resources to help with writing a faith statement? Check out our https://www.whitworth.edu/cms/administration/human-resource-services/faith-statement-resources/ for more information.
Learn more about our shared work to achieve and sustain inclusive excellence https://www.whitworth.edu/cms/administration/diversity-equity-and-inclusion/.
Whitworth complies with all federal, state, and local nondiscrimination laws that are applicable to religious nonprofit institutions and does not engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, sex, or disability. With our Christ-centered commitment to building a diverse and inclusive community, the university encourages applications from populations underrepresented at Whitworth including members of racial/ethnic communities, women, and persons with disabilities.
Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.
It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/4816306
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit uwo.ca. SCHOOL of KINESIOLOGY is seeking outstanding candidates…View Job