Job TitleFaculty Hire in Coastal Marine Ecology
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Faculty
Salary Range -
Location Wachapreague, VA US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name -
To apply for this job please visit jobs.wm.edu.
Faculty Hire in Coastal Marine Ecology
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) and the School of Marine Science (SMS) at William & Mary invite applications for a full-time (12-month), tenure-eligible, Assistant or Associate Professor position to be stationed at the VIMS Eastern Shore Laboratory (ESL) in Wachapreague, Virginia.
The successful candidate will complement existing scholarly expertise at VIMS and at the ESL, mentor and advise graduate students, and contribute to a team-taught, field-based undergraduate course as part of the SMS. This position will also contribute to VIMS’s advisory service role as well as the outreach and educational activities of the ESL team on the Eastern Shore of Virginia (ESVA).
Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in one or more of the following areas (listed alphabetically):
- Genomics and molecular biology applications
- Macro- and microalgae
- Marine population and/or community ecology
VIMS recognizes the need for a diversity of voices, perspectives, and experiences, and strongly encourages applications from individuals underrepresented in the field of marine science and in higher education.
VIMS has a three-part mission to conduct research in coastal ocean and estuarine science, educate students and the public, and provide advisory service to policy makers, industry, and the public. VIMS provides these services to Virginia, the nation, and the world. Chartered in 1940, VIMS is currently among the largest marine research and education centers in the United States. The SMS at VIMS is the graduate school in marine science for William & Mary. It offers outstanding education and research opportunities for students who seek advanced careers in academia, government, or the private sector, including research-focused MS and PhD degrees and a newly launched professional (MA) degree. The SMS also supports a growing undergraduate Marine Science minor at William & Mary and is exploring the development of a major.
The ESVA is a rural peninsula between the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, dominated by agriculture, wild stock fisheries, and shellfish aquaculture. An extensive undeveloped barrier island and coastal bays system extends along 70 miles of the coast. ESL is a small field laboratory staffed by the Director and 11 technical, facilities, and administrative positions. The lab is active in aquaculture and general marine science research and provides research and education support for visitors. Among the lab facilities are a classroom and research lab building (2012), a large flowing seawater laboratory (2012), and new facilities coming online in Fall 2022 including research labs, a visitor’s center for visiting scientists and students, and a new shellfish hatchery.
- PhD, at the time of appointment in related field
EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Demonstrated commitment to producing relevant, high-level scholarship through innovative research
- Demonstrated commitment to producing inclusive and impactful classroom and field-based teaching at the graduate and undergraduate level.
- Experience mentoring student research or conducting collaborative research with students
- Ability to teach qualitative and/or quantitative research methods
- Demonstrated commitment to addressing diversity, inclusion, and equity in education through research, teaching, service and mentoring.
- Demonstrated experience in science for solutions in coastal and marine systems focused on strategic priorities identified in the VIMS strategic plan
- Expertise in one or more of the areas listed in the position description above.
- Record of basic and applied, external funding to support research activities
Position will remain open until filled with applicant review beginning November 28, 2022.
Anticipated start date to align with Fall 2023 semester.
Position is eligible for relocation assistance, as needed
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Associate or Full Professor of Psychology; Director of the Institute for Interdisciplinary Salivary Bioscience Research
University of California, Irvine
To apply for this job please visit recruit.ap.uci.edu. The Department of Psychological Science at the…View Job