Job TitleDirector of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Administrator
Salary Range -
Location Gloucester Point, VA US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
To apply for this job please visit jobs.wm.edu.
Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) has a three-part mission to conduct research in coastal ocean and estuarine science, educate students and citizens, and provide advisory service to policy makers, industry, and the public. VIMS provides these services to Virginia, the nation, and the world. Chartered in 1940, VIMS is currently among the largest marine research and education centers in the United States The School of Marine Science (SMS) at VIMS is the graduate school in marine science for William & Mary. It offers outstanding education and research opportunities for students who seek advanced careers in academia, government, or the private sector. The SMS offers research-based M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in marine science as well as a new professional (M.A.) degree.
VIMS recognizes that the key to improving diversity at our institute and in our disciplinary areas, and expanding impact on diverse communities, lies with focused investments in our people, strengthening a culture of inclusion, and developing practices that actively identify and address barriers to equity with a focus on underrepresented populations.
VIMS is proud to invite qualified applicants for a newly established position of Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I). The Director will serve as a key member of the senior leadership team and be a strategic partner in meeting VIMS’ objective of advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in a field that has a global impact on the health and well-being of coastal ecosystems and communities.
The Director of DE&I will have broad oversight of substantive diversity, equity, and inclusion activities with the authority to envision, strategize, advocate, implement, and document processes, initiatives, and measurable actions leading to greater DE&I at VIMS. The primary focus will be to foster an inclusive and equitable community and culture that values a diversity of lived experiences, thoughts, and expertise, recognizing the importance of these connections to helping individuals flourish and supporting the robust collaborations needed to solve the grand challenges of today and tomorrow.
The Director of DE&I will work directly with the Dean and Director, the senior leadership team, and the VIMS Committee on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Implementing and executing VIMS DEI strategic priorities aimed at:
- Transforming and strengthening current policies, procedures, and structures to promote accountability, oversight, and transparency, and foster a culture that actively identifies and addresses DEI barriers.
- Providing leadership for diversity initiatives, normalizing the development and attainment of DE&I goals, and adopting strategic improvements to strengthen the excellence of the institute.
- Creating inclusive spaces and practices, celebrating diversity at VIMS, and supporting recruitment of a diverse community centered around respect, empathy, acceptance, and equity.
- Furthering development pathways, expanding support, and allocating resources to maximize access to professional learning and growth opportunities for students, staff, and faculty.
- Establishing and sustaining a state-supported minority postdoctoral research fellows program, with the goal of expanding pathways for diverse candidates to move into faculty positions in marine science.
- Planning and managing and assisting with implementation of DE&I education and training for VIMS faculty, staff, and students.
- Coordinating with the William & Mary Chief Diversity Officer and serving as a member of the University DE&I council on university wide programing.
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent combination of education and experience directly related to the position).
EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of and experience with current laws, research, best practices, and trends in the field of DE&I.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing, managing, and developing DE&I initiatives, analyzing policies and workforce data, and providing guidance on DE&I related priorities, strategic plans, and policies.
- Working knowledge of and experience with collecting and analyzing appropriate data to inform and document DE&I initiatives.
- Demonstrated productivity in both independent and collaborative work environments.
- Strong written, oral, and presentation skills with the ability to develop present information that is credible and persuasive, using both numerical and qualitative measures.
- Demonstrated record of working effectively with leaders, staff, and other constituent groups.
- Work experience in a post-secondary academic setting, with an understanding of faculty and staff career trajectories and the intentions of a research institute.
- Experience collaborating to manage budgets and to oversee office processes.
- Experience designing and conducting peer workshops and training sessions.
Applicants may apply directly at: https://jobs.wm.edu/postings/50139
Position will remain open until filled with applicant review beginning September 19th
Position is eligible for relocation assistance, as needed
For details about position, benefits, & leave please visit: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/12monthprofandfaculty/index.php
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Henry Ford Health
To apply for this job please visit p.rfer.us. POSITION SUMMARY The Chair of Ophthalmology –…View Job