Job TitleAssociate Dean for Academic Affairs
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Executive
Salary Range -
Location GLOU POINT, VA US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
William & Mary’s School of Marine Science (SMS) at VIMS invites applicants for the position of Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The SMS at VIMS hosts one of the largest and most successful education programs in coastal and marine science in the United States, conferring graduate degrees in marine science at the M.A., M.S., and Ph.D. levels and hosting an undergraduate minor in marine science.
This is an exciting time to join VIMS; we are operating under a new and innovative Strategic Plan, our academic structure is evolving, and we are in the early stages of a proposal to develop an undergraduate major in marine science. In support of these dynamic initiatives, we seek strategic, forward-thinking individuals that are passionate about higher education and student success and committed to the priorities laid out in our Strategic Plan – specifically those focused on training, inspiring, and empowering the next generation of marine science leaders, and fostering an inclusive and equitable community that values a diversity of lived experiences, thoughts, and expertise.
Reporting to the Dean & Director of VIMS, the Associate Dean is responsible for leadership and administration of VIMS’ growing academic program with support from the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs and an associated staff. The incumbent serves in this full-time position as the senior faculty member and principal administrative officer of the SMS under the Dean & Director to ensure continued success of the SMS program, foster academic excellence, provide diverse initiatives to support student success, and promote effective and productive professional and advising relationships among faculty and students.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Providing strategic thought leadership and effective administration that advances the educational mission of the SMS and VIMS, including governance and decision-making authority for the academic program as delegated by the Dean & Director
· Participating in institutional-level decision making, and ensuring close coordination between the academic programs of the SMS, research and advisory programs, and operational and financial aspects of VIMS
· Promoting, supporting, and fostering a culture of academic excellence, integrity and resilience within an equitable, inclusive and diverse education and training environment
· Directing the development and implementation of SMS academic affairs, VIMS- sponsored student initiatives, and related SMS and VIMS policies and procedures
· Overseeing quality of instruction and course content and ensuring the efficient assignment of faculty effort to cover the teaching needs of the academic program
· Responsibly managing a student financial aid and academic program operating budget of
· ≥$1.5 million for the continued success of academic programming and advancement of the VIMS strategic plan
· Overseeing the student experience and student-related matters for the SMS to ensure a high-quality learning experience for all students, and access and success for underrepresented students
· Providing leadership in admission processes for the SMS; making offers of admission and financial aid for the graduate degree programs
· Facilitating effective communication among leadership, academic program directors, faculty, students and staff on all aspects of the academic program
· Collaborating within the university in the process of continuous programmatic improvement and accreditation, and ensuring that the academic and student- and faculty- support programs of the SMS and VIMS exceed accreditation benchmarks and sustain strong reputational excellence through mission-driven and research-informed goals and objectives
· Strengthening relationships with other universities and other organizations to help advance the educational mission of VIMS
· Assisting in stewarding the strategic plan by meeting regularly with campus and other stakeholders, and working collaboratively and collegially with faculty, staff, students, campus leaders and the VIMS Foundation Board
· Managing and leading a team of professional staff within Academic Affairs
The conduct of individual research and teaching by the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs is facilitated to the extent that the primary duties expressed herein permit. However, it is expected that execution of administrative duties will always take precedence, and any engagement in teaching and research will be addressed through a separate Memorandum of Understanding.
Required Qualifications and Education:
· Ph.D. in marine science or related field, with a record of scientific accomplishment sufficient to be hired at the Associate or Full Professor level and receive tenure within the SMS at William & Mary
· Excellent organizational and leadership skills, with the ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy, collaboration, and problem solving
· Integrity, and the ability to navigate conflict effectively and advise on matters that may be sensitive or confidential; use of tact, discretion, sound judgment and decisiveness.
· Effective communication skills, and the ability to interact with sensitivity across diverse groups of individuals
· Experience with the administration and/or governance of an academic program at an institution of higher education
· Experience working with student information systems, such as Banner, as well as proficiency with computer systems including databases and presentation platforms
· Demonstrated record of sound financial management
· Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through research, teaching, service, mentoring, and fostering inclusive communities
· Demonstrated ability to design, develop and implement academic program initiatives
· Experience in managing graduate-level academic programs in marine science or related fields of study
· Experience in managing the accreditation process
Applicants may apply here: https://jobs.wm.edu/postings/52346
Position will remain open until filled with applicant review beginning March 9, 2023
Position is eligible for relocation assistance
For details about position benefits & leave visit: https://www.wm.edu/offices/uhr/benefits/?type=12facpro
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
VIMS has a three-part mission to conduct research in coastal ocean and estuarine science, educate students and the public, and provide advisory service to policy-makers, industry, and the public. VIMS provides these services to Virginia, the nation, and the world. Chartered in 1940, VIMS is currently among the largest marine research and education centers in the United States. The SMS at VIMS is the graduate school in marine science for William & Mary. It offers outstanding education and research opportunities for students who seek advanced careers in academia, government, or the private sector, including research-focused MS and PhD degrees and a newly launched professional MA degree. The SMS also supports a growing undergraduate marine science minor at William & Mary and is exploring the development of a major.
Shoreline Community College
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com. Admin/Exempt – Vice President for Diversity, Equity,…View Job