Job TitleDirector of Arts & Languages Programs
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Administrator
Salary Range -
Location La Jolla, CA
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Cristal Rivera
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.
Director of Arts & Languages Programs
University of California San Diego
Position title: Director of Arts & Languages Programs
Salary range: A reasonable salary range estimate for this position is $85,860/yr-$105,815/yr.
The posted UC academic salary scales (https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnelprograms/compensation/2022-23-academic-salary-scales.html) set the minimum pay determined by rank and/or
step at appointment. See the following table for the salary scale for this position
Review timeline: Reviewed annually
Open date: October 26, 2023
Next review date: Monday, Nov 27, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Friday, Jan 12, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs, the Director of the Arts & Languages Programs is responsible for the development and management of professional education in Arts and Languages for UC San Diego’s Extended Studies and Public Programs division. This position is an important part of the division’s commitment to serving the lifelong learning needs of professionals worldwide. The current portfolio of certificates and programs is poised for growth.
The Director’s responsibilities fall into two major functional categories:
1) Externally-focused development of productive relationships with employers, faculty, professional associations, and recognized authorities in arts and languages, leading to the development of appropriate educational courses and programs to meet the lifelong learning needs of professionals in those fields, and
2) Internally-focused management of an ever-growing portfolio of educational products, and the instructors and staff who deliver those programs, to sustain academic quality while meeting the financial requirements of a self-funded university division.
Development of Relationships and Appropriate Educational Programs – approximately 50%
• Identify, approach, and visit often with employers, faculty, professional association officers, and recognized authorities in arts and languages to discuss current changes and needs in the fields, including the impact of those changes on talent acquisition and educational preparation.
• Identify and validate potential areas of interest to develop new programs related to arts, languages, and humanities.
• Form advisory groups to provide ongoing oversight and input with regard to the relevance and effectiveness of one or more Extension course portfolios and/or programs.
• Using advisory resources, as well as other professional networks, solicit, identify, and recruit qualified individuals to serve as instructors for Extension courses.
• Review the applications of unsolicited potential instructors, identify qualified candidates, and conduct interviews for by-agreement employment.
• Manage relations with different campus programs relevant to arts, design, and languages.
• Recruit advisors, instructors, and other acknowledged leaders in the fields and encourage them to participate as guest speakers or mentors in connection with career development events, audio and video internet programming, promotional sessions, and related services for Extension or campus students.
Management of Educational Products, Instructors, and Staff – approximately 50%
• Under the general supervision of the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, design, develop, and submit for approval new or revised collections of coursework for certificate (or similar) program status.
• Design and develop new immersive courses and workshops to identify new areas of study or programs.
• Review instructional design for courses including instructor syllabi to determine if they meet Extension’s academic standards (e.g. learning objectives, clear and organized lessons, grading rubrics, etc.).
• Evaluate different education delivery methods and their suitability for different content, including online learning, immersive courses, and massive online coursework. Evaluate program effectiveness.
• Facilitate instructor meetings to review/refresh curriculum or certificates, develop new courses, and consider best practices in instruction.
• Review the performance of existing programs to determine their viability. As needed, develop plans to discontinue or repurpose underperforming programs.
• Conduct periodic advisory group meetings to review program performance and student demographic/impact data; draft and submit certificate program review documents.
• Review and approve instructor-course approval documents.
• Address and resolve complex student relations situations.
• Review and approve student substitution/waiver forms.
• Guide the quarterly course planning process.
• Conduct annual performance reviews for individuals supervised; advise those individuals in their continued professional development.
• Direct supervision of 5 Program Education Specialists, classified at the 2 or 3 level
• Dozens of by-agreement instructors.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
• Qualified applicants must hold at least a Master’s degree in a relevant field.
• Demonstrated knowledge in the arts, languages, and humanities.
• Experience in market evaluation, opportunity identification, and new program development.
• At least 2 years demonstrated success in recruiting, selecting, and supporting a large pool of qualified part-time instructors.
• Experience providing strategic direction to marketing specialists, managing department finances, and supervising administrative staff.
• Demonstrated ability to oversee existing programs and keep them current based on evolving market needs.
• Demonstrated strong accomplishments in areas contributing to diversity, equity and inclusion, and a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UC San Diego’s commitment to achieving excellence and diversity.
• At least 2 years work experience in adult education.
• Resume – Your most recently updated resume.
• Cover Letter
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity – Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our /shortcuts/contributions_to_diversity site for more information.
• Misc / Additional (Optional)
• 3-5 required (contact information only)
Apply link: https://apptrkr.com/4744662
Help contact: email@example.com
The University of California, San Diego is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, covered veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.
The University of California prohibits https://smokefree.ucsd.edu/ use at all University controlled properties.
The UC San Diego Annual Security & Fire Safety Report is available online at: https://www.police.ucsd.edu/docs/annualclery.pdf. This report provides crime and fire statistics, as well as institutional policy statement & procedures. Contact the UC San Diego Police Department at (858) 534-4361 if you want to obtain paper copies of this report.
San Diego, California
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4744662
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com. North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University…View Job
Weber State University
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com. Director of Government Relations and Special Projects…View Job
The Claremont Colleges Services
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com. Senior Benefits Administrator – Retirement (Hybrid) The…View Job
To apply for this job please visit www.ju.edu. The Marine Science Research Institute (MSRI) serves…View Job