Job TitleCampus Safety Officer (Onsite; 4/10 Schedule)
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Staff
Salary Range $ 22
Location Claremont, CA
Application Deadline December 03, 2023
Contact Name Human Resources
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.
Campus Safety Officer (Onsite; 4/10 Schedule)
The Claremont Colleges Services (TCCS) is the central coordinating and support organization for a highly regarded cluster of seven independent colleges known as The Claremont Colleges. TCCS with a staff of 300, provides exceptional shared services to 9,000 students, and almost 3,600 faculty and staff. TCCS staff work in both student-facing services as well as administrative and operational services. Our numerous departments are located throughout The Claremont Colleges campus in the beautiful city of Claremont, California.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Claremont Colleges Services (TCCS) seeks a trustworthy, mature, and composed individual with strong leadership skills for the position of Campus Safety Officer.
• Excellent opportunity in an entry-level role.
• On-the-job training and certification for: First Aid, CPR, AED, Baton permit, OC Spray permit, NARCAN, and POST approved P.C. 832 “Laws of Arrest” Certification (if not already current).
• Collaborate with city police department.
Campus Safety Officers are the primary crime prevention, security patrol, and first responder roles for The Claremont Colleges. Campus Safety Officers are committed to protecting and serving the community of the member institutions and The Claremont Colleges Services with courtesy and respect for every individual’s dignity and legal rights. Officers are expected to be very visible in the community and must carry themselves in a way that projects confidence, goodwill, and honorable behavior at all times. These are emergency response positions and at any time may be required to immediately respond to security, safety, medical, life-threatening, or other urgent situations. Once dispatched or upon encountering issues on campus, this position is the primary link between people on the TCC campus and the Campus Safety Dispatcher.
Crime Monitoring, Prevention, and Response
• Ensure the protection of property and community members and the best environment for their safety through proactive and timely performance of duties. Patrol the campuses and anticipate and intervene in potential and actual incidents where persons and/or property may be at risk of harm or damage.
• At all times be alert and aware of surroundings and conduct self with strong integrity, maturity, and dependability.
• Use exceptional judgement to determine when to convey authority. Practice de-escalation of conflict and potential danger, and compliance communications as a first resort.
• Conduct routine patrols driving a utility cart or automobile, riding a bicycle, and/or walking.
• Conduct security checks of premises and facilities to ensure use and access by appropriate individuals.
• Use exceptional tact and judgment. Be courteous and respectful in all interactions. Conduct self with strong integrity, maturity, and dependability. Uphold a high standard of behavior, safety, and sensitivity to cultural diversity.
• Respond and ensure that unauthorized individuals leave the premises. May require limited use of force, as authorized by law.
• Respond immediately and at any point while on duty to non-emergency and emergency calls and incidents.
• Perform event security duties, including monitoring and guiding contract security personnel, checking identification, controlling the flow of alcohol, monitoring attendees’ behavior, and other general safety issues.
• Provide safety escorts to students, faculty, and staff.
• Obtain and maintain knowledge of applicable municipal, state, and federal crimes and the policies of the member institutions of The Claremont Colleges and enforce as needed.
• Conduct initial investigations. Gather evidence and interview victims, witnesses, and suspects. Write incident reports and law enforcement related initial crime reports. May testify and present evidence in college judicial hearings or court proceedings.
• Coordinate and guide responding police and fire/paramedic units in person, by phone, or wireless radio.
• Understand, follow, and promote proper department protocols and procedures. Uphold a high standard of behavior, safety, judgment, and sensitivity to cultural diversity.
Emergency Support & Response
• Assist with building evacuations and maintaining order in the event of an emergency.
• Triage medical calls and administer basic first aid, CPR, AED, and NARCAN when necessary.
Administrative & Other Duties
• Report crimes and violations of the regulations of The Claremont Colleges, verbally and in writing, to proper authorities.
• Campus Security Authority: The Campus Safety Officer is designated as a Campus Security Authority under the Clery Act, whose primary responsibility is to “report allegations made in good faith to the reporting structure established by the institution.” Within The Claremont Colleges Services (TCCS), the reporting structure is the TCCS Campus Safety Department.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Officers work a 4/10 schedule; meaning 4 days per week, 10-hour days. Campus Safety has three main shifts: Day shift (6am to 4:30pm), swing shift (3:30pm to 2am), and night (8:30pm-7am). Must be available and willing to work any shift assigned (day, swing, night) on all days of the week (weekdays, weekends, and holidays). Assigned shifts may be scheduled for up to six (6) months. Holiday, weekend, and evening work hours are often required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the organization or because of special events and major incidents.
Pay: The pay rate is $22.00 per hour.
Benefits: This position is eligible for our employment benefits package including:
• medical, dental, vision,
• 10% retirement contributions (no matching required),
• group life insurance,
• generous time off,
• professional development funds,
• discounts for mobile plans, software, and entertainment,
• access to fitness facilities,
• and more!
For more information about our full range of generous benefits please visit https://services.claremont.edu/benefits-administration/. Benefits are subject to the terms and conditions in the plan or policy documents.
You know how to keep your composure in difficult, stressful, and unexpected situations. You pride yourself in having a strong moral compass and hold yourself to the highest standard of ethical and honorable behavior. You enjoy helping others in time of need and have an ability to make others feel comfortable and safe around you. You are mature, resilient, have strong leadership skills, and can work effectively on your own. You have strong integrity and common sense and know how to keep confidentiality.
• High school diploma or the equivalent.
• Completed PC 832.3 “Laws of Arrests” training; OR must complete within 90 days of hire.
• None required, however there is a strong preference for at least one year of experience in a similar environment.
• Current State of California Bureau of Investigative & Security Services (BSIS) 40-hour certification.
• A valid driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to TCCS’s automobile liability insurer.
• Current Heartsaver First Aid/AED/CPR cards and proof of certification; OR must complete within 90 days of hire.
• Completed baton and OC pepper spray permits per AB 2880; OR must complete within 90 days of hire date.
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills are critical for this position, including strong ethics, maturity, tact, adaptability, and awareness of the audience.
• Strong leadership skills and ability to think critically and maintain composure in high-pressure, crisis, and adverse situations, or if subject to disrespect or aggression.
• Analyze complex and urgent situations quickly and objectively and determine proper courses of action to be taken.
• Multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Proficient English language skills, including reading, writing, understanding, speaking, and following directions. Strong ability to write clearly and concisely in English, with proper spelling and grammar, to prepare incident and investigation reports and documents which may be used by city police and/or in college judicial hearings or court proceedings.
• Knowledgeable of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, databases, and electronic timekeeping system. Able to learn other computer technologies and systems as needed.
• Use report writing software to enter and update crime reports.
• Use a portable radio, tablet, computer, camera, and other related technologies.
• Ability and willingness to work overtime hours when necessary.
• Train, inspire, and guide all staff assigned to the team.
• Treat all people with fairness, equality, and respect. Create and maintain a positive and respectful work environment, free of fear and intimidation.
• Always demonstrate and promote integrity and the highest standards of professional conduct, with sensitivity for the perception of security/law enforcement personnel in a culturally diverse and socially aware environment.
• Be sensitive to and embrace cultural, religious, ethnic, and lifestyle diversity.
• Establish a professional and courteous working relationship with individuals from all The Claremont Colleges campuses and external agencies.
• This position requires a post-offer pre-employment physical test to confirm ability to perform the physical requirements. Must successfully pass the following:
• Drug/alcohol screening test.
• Mobility: This position is primarily active, and very active when responding to urgent or emergency situations.
• Sit, walk, and/or stand for up to ten (10) hours or longer for interior and or exterior assignments.
• Occasionally run, including up and down stairs and through buildings, for emergency situations.
• Climb stairs, lift, and carry heavy items up to 30 pounds unassisted. May be required to lift heavier weight in emergency situations.
• Bend, stoop, and reach outward and above the head and shoulders.
• Dexterity: Must be able to:
• Operate a computer, 2-way radio, telephone, and other office equipment frequently, and
• Operate a golf cart constantly.
• Vision: Visual acuity for reading and writing electronic and printed materials and working on a computer screen often.
• Hearing: Auditory acuity for constant communication in person, by telephone, two-way radio, and video call, in one-on-one, group, and emergency situations.
• Work Conditions: Work is primarily performed both indoors and outdoors.
• At least one year of experience performing safety and/or security patrol services to deter criminal activity at a licensed security department.
• Experience conducting investigations and writing incident reports or law enforcement initial crime reports.
• Experience with public safety Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) and Records Management Systems (RMS) is highly desirable.
Applications are only accepted through our applicant portal at https://theclaremontcolleges.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/TCCS_Careers.
Additional Materials: Please have the following items as a Word or PDF file to upload in order to complete your application:
• Resume (Required)
• Cover Letter (Preferred*): Briefly, share specific examples from your experience that demonstrate your ability to be successful in this role and how the position works into your career goals. *While not required, we highly encourage you to provide a cover letter, especially if you do not have the preferred experience. Explain how your qualifications are transferable and relevant to the Campus Safety Officer position.
This job description defines the essential job duties of this position. The Claremont Colleges Services expects that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, The Claremont Colleges Services will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
TCCS is an equal opportunity employer. TCCS managers make employment decisions on the basis of merit, with the aim to have the best available person in every job. TCCS prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), national origin or ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), military or veteran status, and status with regard to public assistance, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation. TCCS also prohibits discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of these characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of these characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4705753
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
The Claremont Colleges Services
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com. Project Coordinator for System Implementation (2-3 Year…View Job
The Claremont Colleges Services
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com. The Claremont Colleges Services (TCCS) seeks a…View Job