Job TitleAssistant Professor, Diverse Voices Creating Just Futures (cluster hire)
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Faculty
Salary Range -
Location Brooklyn, NY
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.
Assistant Professor, Diverse Voices Creating Just Futures (cluster hire)
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Pratt Institute invites applications for a cluster of five new tenure-track faculty positions at the level of Assistant Professor, focused on “Diverse Voices Creating Just Futures.” We seek applicants from a range of disciplinary and interdisciplinary backgrounds whose teaching and research / creative practices will advance the Institute’s commitment to an education that centers on justice: “Pratt students make decisions with consideration of their impact upon individuals, communities, and the earth. They are compelled into action to resist all forms of discrimination, inequalities, and supremacism, in order to promote just societal transformation with frameworks and tools that allow for reflection and agency” (https://www.pratt.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Pratt-Institute-All-Institute-Learning-Goals-2021.pdf). The faculty hired through this initiative will have the opportunity to work as a multi-disciplinary cohort with shared interests that cut across fields, as well as pursue their work as individual scholars and creative practitioners.
With this initiative, Pratt further elevates its commitment to increasing the size of its full-time faculty; to recruiting, hiring and supporting diverse faculty; and to educating artists and creative professionals whose work has a transformative impact on the world. A top-ranked college with opportunities in art, design, architecture, liberal arts and sciences, and information studies, Pratt Institute provides the creative leaders of tomorrow the knowledge and experience to make a better world.
Each faculty member hired through this initiative will be appointed to a school / department that serves as their primary home for teaching, promotion, and tenure at Pratt. Faculty workloads for each school are described in the https://www.pratt-union.org/documents. We are especially interested in applicants whose teaching and creative / research practice qualify them for appointment in one of the following schools/departments:
School of Art
• https://www.pratt.edu/art/film-video/ (MFA or equivalent required): Seeking a filmmaker/artist with a practice centered in nonfiction/documentary able to demonstrate an active commitment to issues of decoloniality, social justice, and/or human rights through their work and/or pedagogy. Work/pedagogy should reflect their understanding of core values for ethical and accountable nonfiction filmmaking, including anti-oppression considerations, transparency, positionality, and power dynamics. A focus on advancing the stories of Black and Indigenous communities is especially welcome, as are expansive explorations of form.
School of Architecture
• https://www.pratt.edu/architecture/undergraduate-architecture/ (MArch or PhD preferred, experience in other design fields welcomed): Proficiency as a designer with civic and community engagement experience. Having and exhibiting proficiency in computational fabrication, and design/build workflows, with a portfolio/dossier of work completed in the public realm. Experience and proficiency in work at both building and urban scales, with a knowledge of urban systems, policy, and processes. Experience in multidisciplinary collaboration, including but not limited to Graduate Design, Planning, and Management programs.
School of Design
https://www.pratt.edu/design/interior-design/ (MFA in Interior Design, a related field, or the equivalent, required): Focus on interior design teaching, practice, and research / creative work that serves communities otherwise absent or marginalized in the discipline, contributing to a community that works toward a goal of creating spaces, environments, and structures that are just, equitable, and accessible to all. The faculty member would bring new practices to our classrooms and studios building on the interdisciplinary nature of interior design, as it draws on and is influenced by allied design disciplines.
• Library and Information Science, Information Experience Design, Data Analytics and Visualization, and/or Museums and Digital Culture (earned doctorate required for all): Focus on critical approaches and engagement with areas including, but not limited to, critical information studies, critical design, data justice and tech ethics, activism, and communities facing barriers (e.g., people who are incarcerated).
School of Liberal Arts and Sciences
• https://www.pratt.edu/liberal-arts-and-sciences/history-of-art-and-design/ (PhD required): Focus on the digital humanities, with attention to how digital tools and research methods have contributed to re-visioning the histories of art/architecture/design, and to revising and decolonizing the curricula through which we teach these histories. Work that focuses on Brooklyn and/or Lenapehoking and Lenape cultures—and urban space and indigenous cultures more broadly—is especially welcome. The faculty member will contribute substantially to Pratt’s vibrant and multi-disciplinary General Education curriculum.
Salary, Benefits, and Faculty Support
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. The salary range for this position is $82,500 – $95,000. Pratt Institute provides a comprehensive https://www.pratt.edu/about/offices/finance-and-administration/human-resources/benefits/ package with the flexibility to meet the varying needs of a diverse group of individual employees.
• 403B Retirement Program
• Supplemental Retirement Account
• Tuition Benefits for Employees and Dependents
• Tuition Exchange Program
• Flexible Spending Accounts – commuter, medical, dependent care
• Child care Benefit
• Basic life and AD&D insurance provided by Pratt
• Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Coverage
• Reduced teaching load in first year (1 course release)
• Sabbatical leave, as described in the Collective Bargaining Agreement
• Additional Perks – free entry to select museums and cultural institutions, free use of campus recreation facilities
The cohort of faculty hired through this initiative will join an institution that is committed to their success: Pratt’s https://prattctl.com/, along with the https://www.pratt.edu/research/, will provide support for the cohort as a group and for its individual members. The Institute is also developing professional mentoring programs for all faculty, and provides additional professional development opportunities through the Association of Independent Colleges and Design (AICAD), the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U), and other organizations. All Pratt faculty are represented by the UFCT Local 1460 and the Academic Senate, which provides funding opportunities for professional development and academic initiatives, as well as nominating faculty for awards in teaching, research, and service.
Pratt Institute provides the creative leaders of tomorrow the knowledge and experience to make a better world. A top-ranked college with opportunities in art, design, architecture, liberal arts and sciences, and information studies, Pratt offers nearly 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The Institute’s impact expands beyond its 25-acre residential campus in Brooklyn to cutting-edge facilities in the Research Yard (at the Brooklyn Navy Yard), a landmark building and public gallery in Manhattan, and an extension campus, Pratt Munson College of Art and Design in Utica, New York.
Since its founding in 1887, Pratt has prioritized diversity and inclusion, welcoming students from all walks of life while developing and sustaining pathways to more equitable workplaces and careers. Pratt’s commitment to civic engagement shapes work throughout the Institute:
Pratt is a core partner in the https://www.pratt.edu/research/the-new-york-climate-exchange-on-governors-island/, whose charge is to develop a world-class educational / research center focused on the urgent challenge of climate change.
A program offering art classes to neighborhood children began in the late 19th century and has grown into today’shttps://www.pratt.edu/about/offices/office-of-the-provost/center-for-art-design-and-community-engagement-k-12/.
Thehttps://prattcenter.net/ was launched in the mid-1960s to help community groups rebuild and revitalize their neighborhoods, and today works for a more just, equitable and sustainable New York City in partnership with community-based groups, small businesses, and policymakers.
There is ongoing research in every school at Pratt that works for change, including climate ecologies in the School of Architecture, participatory education to support community engagement in the School of Design, the Civic Engagement Series in the School of Art, understanding the #MeToo Movement in the School of Information, and socially engaged art for youth wellness in the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Pratt’s https://www.pratt.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Pratt-Institute-All-Institute-Learning-Goals-2021.pdf identify an education that fosters understanding of justice, sustainability, and global citizenship as essential for all Pratt students, along with resilience, creative problem solving, versatile communication, and disciplinary fluency.
Curricular offerings include undergraduate minors in Social Justice / Social Practice, Black Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies, and Sustainability Studies, and graduate courses and programs that directly engage questions of diversity and social justice are found across schools.
In recent years, the Institute’s faculty have focused on developing inclusive pedagogies, and a faculty-led series of workshops inform current efforts to decolonize the curriculum.
• Candidates should have a terminal degree or equivalent in a field relevant to the position for which they wish to be considered (as detailed above)
• At least 1–3 years of teaching experience, and a growing body of research / creative work, as well as a demonstrated commitment to creating and sustaining diverse, equitable, and inclusive communities.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4563066
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com. Assistant Professor of Modern and Contemporary Art…View Job
George Mason University
To apply for this job please visit jobs.gmu.edu. Assistant/Associate Professor – Global & Community Health…View Job
To apply for this job please visit dal.peopleadmin.ca. About the Opportunity: The Faculty of Computer…View Job
To apply for this job please visit careers.pageuppeople.com. The Department of Psychology at Virginia Tech…View Job