Job TitleVice President for Inclusion, Diversity, and Engagement
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Executive
Salary Range -
Location Flagstaff, AZ
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
Northern Arizona University
Vice President for Inclusion, Diversity, and Engagement
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Northern Arizona University in its search for Vice President for Inclusion, Diversity, and Engagement.
For best consideration, please apply by November 28th.
This is a remarkable opportunity for a passionate and visionary leader to join Northern Arizona University (NAU) as the inaugural Vice President for Inclusion, Diversity, and Engagement (VP IDE). Reporting directly to the President, the VP IDE is a Cabinet-level position with responsibility for advancing university-wide inclusion, diversity, and engagement initiatives at NAU. Building off a solid foundation and university-wide culture committed to advancing DEIJ, the VP IDE will work collaboratively with internal and external constituents to advance the critical work aligned with the Mission-Driven and Diverse Faculty and Staff priority described in the university’s strategic plan, NAU 2025 – Elevating Excellence with the shared goal of best serving the diverse constituencies of faculty, staff, students, and other partners that make up the rich fabric of the university community.
The successful candidate is a critical thinker able to navigate the complex structural and cultural environments in today’s higher education landscape. The ideal candidate is a solutions-oriented leader who takes a proactive, collaborative approach to building an inclusive culture at all levels of the institution in support of the diverse backgrounds and lived experiences of its community.
The components of this priority area reflect the holistic approach NAU envisions for supporting and including all in the university experience and contributing to NAU’s elevated excellence:
• Development and evaluation of highly qualified, mission-driven faculty and staff with diverse academic pursuits, experiences, and talents that support, enhance, and connect with the diverse lived experiences of our student community.
• Support faculty and staff economic, physical, and mental well-being to foster a healthy and fulfilled workforce and a mission-driven workplace.
• Support a culture of shared responsibility for inclusion, diversity, and engagement-centered institutional practices to contribute to the NAU community’s pursuit of excellence.
• Promote student success with mission-driven faculty and staff collectively supporting the needs of all students through meaningful relationships and experiences, tailored support, accessible environments, and pedagogical excellence.
The VP IDE will be a key university-wide champion for building an inclusive environment that supports the full spectrum of diversity at NAU and acknowledges and supports the experiences of students, faculty, and staff of all racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, national origins, disabilities, age, veteran status, religious or political beliefs, sexual orientations, gender identities and expression, and lived experiences. Through the efforts of the incumbent to coordinate, support, and lead initiatives that include all voices and backgrounds foster an inclusive and engaged university community, NAU will strengthen its institutional culture and incorporate diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice for all in the pursuit of excellence and the promotion of student success.
A key goal for this position will to be leverage an energized and mobilized university community in coordinating existing groups—including the Diversity Fellows and Diversity Commissions—as well as shaping new developments in areas like the build out of a central, university-wide Center for University Access and Inclusion (CUAI). As the inaugural holder of this position, the VP has a unique opportunity to shape the infrastructure that will institutionalize and sustain NAU’s goals to advance and incorporate the diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and lived experiences of its community into its future work and institutional identity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as strategic advisor to the President and the President’s Cabinet on university-wide inclusion, diversity, and engagement issues and initiatives throughout the university;
• Lead and coordinate cross-divisional and university-wide work to create an inclusive environment for all members of the university and external community;
• Lead the Center for University Access and Inclusion (CUAI), including developing an organizational structure for the center and building its operations to serve as a central organizing hub for inclusion, diversity, and engagement activities across NAU;
• Advance strategic efforts aligned with NAU 2025 – Elevating Excellence and the university’s Diversity Strategic Plan to meet institutional goals;
• Collaborate with, convene, and coordinate existing groups throughout the university, including the Diversity Commissions and Diversity Fellows (whose chairs will report to the VP IDE);
• Represent NAU in both internal and external engagements, activities, and communications focused on inclusion, diversity, and engagement initiatives and leadership.
• A Bachelor’s degree
• 3+ years demonstrated leadership experience in inclusion, diversity, and engagement
• Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with internal and external constituents
• Excellent communication skills
• A track record of leading and planning strategic initiatives
• Master’s or terminal degree
• 6+ years progressive leadership experience in inclusion, diversity, and engagement
• Experience planning and implementing institution-wide DEIJ initiatives
• Demonstrated experience in conflict management and resolution related to inclusion, diversity, and engagement issues
• Experience performing and utilizing data analysis to inform decisions and programming
About the Institution
Founded in 1899, Northern Arizona University is a higher-research institution providing exceptional educational opportunities and outcomes in Arizona and beyond. NAU delivers a student-centered experience to its nearly 30,000 students in Flagstaff, statewide, and online through rigorous academic programs in a supportive, inclusive, and diverse environment. As a community-engaged engine of opportunity, NAU powers social impact and economic mobility for the students and communities it serves. The university’s longstanding history of educating and partnering with diverse students and communities throughout Arizona, including Indigenous Peoples, is enhanced by its recent designation as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI). Dedicated, world-renowned faculty and staff help ensure students achieve academic excellence, experience personal growth, have meaningful research and experiential learning opportunities, and are positioned for personal and professional success. Located on the Colorado Plateau, in one of the highest-ranked college towns in the country, the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus is truly a jewel of the Southwest.
Living in the Area
With a population of 70,000, Flagstaff is perfect for those looking for a city with a small-town feel. Surrounded by mountains, desert, and ponderosa pine forests, Flagstaff is a gateway to the San Francisco Peaks, home to Arizona’s tallest mountain (Humphreys Peak). Nearby, Wupatki National Monument has Native American pueblo sites, and Walnut Canyon National Monument is dotted with their cliff dwellings.
Flagstaff is close to the mountains, forests, and even gets snow during the winter months. For those who enjoy hiking, skiing, mountain biking, and camping, Flagstaff is an endless playground. The higher altitude and shade of the thick forests makes Flagstaff significantly cooler than many other Arizona cities.
Only minutes away from a major airport and serving as an entry for the Grand Canyon National Park, Flagstaff enjoys a bustling downtown scene and a close-knit surrounding community.
For best consideration, please apply by November 28th
To be viewed by the search firm, you must apply directly at:
Please do not email applications.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vita. Ideally cover letters should not exceed two pages. All applications are treated confidentially.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially:
Inquiries and questions: Please send to NAUVPIDE@acesrch.com
Nominations and referrals: Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Institution’s EEO Statement
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
To apply for this job please visit candidates.perrettlaver.com. The Hong Kong University of Science and…View Job
University of Washington
To apply for this job please visit apply.interfolio.com. The University of Washington School of Medicine…View Job