Associate Vice Provost for Faculty AffairsNorth Carolina A&T State University
Job TitleAssociate Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Executive
Salary Range -
Location Greensboro, NC US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Academic Career & Executive Search
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com.
North Carolina A&T State University
Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist North Carolina A&T University (NCA&T) in its search for Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (AVPFA).
For full consideration, please apply by March 31, 2023
This is an exceptional opportunity to serve as the next Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs at a strong and growing R2 high research activity institution moving to become an R1 very high research activity institution. This critical role requires a detail oriented collaborative leader with budget knowledge and well versed in supporting faculty policy and personnel needs.
The Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (AVPFA) is responsible for managing and directing all activities in the Office of Academic Budget and Personnel. The AVPFA provides guidance, interpretation and administration of faculty employment policies, procedures and workflows; and directs best practices including appointment, onboarding/orientation, credentialing, faculty evaluation and continuation of appointments, professional development, reassigned time, faculty grievances and appeals, retirement, phased retirement and emeritus reviews and approvals.
The AVPFA develops, revises and promotes policies, procedures, best practices and works with the Senior Vice Provost to provide recommendations to resolve problems and determine solutions for unique faculty challenges.
The AVPFA communicates information regarding changes in policies or the governance process and serves as the liaison between the Provost’s office, Faculty Senate, the Division of Human Resources, and academic units for faculty life-cycle matters. The AVPFA functions with a high degree of autonomy to facilitate academic personnel administration. This position uses professional contacts and networks within the University and UNC System Office to ensure compliance with personnel policies. This position reports directly to the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The AVP has significant administrative responsibilities to direct human resources in Academic Affairs. AVPFA supervises Academic Budget and Personnel staff.
The Associate Vice Provost is responsible for implementing and interpreting Federal and State regulations and UNC and NCAT policies. The AVPFA develops and implements Division policies that comply with governing laws, regulations, and policies for EHRA faculty and related resources; and exercises significant professional judgment in strategic planning, fiscal sustainability initiatives, and continuing assessment to effectively administer the Division’s resources.
Core duties include:
- Develop and lead forward thinking, mission-aligned strategies and plans to recruit and retain talented, highly qualified faculty;
- Work with the Division of Research and Economic development to align faculty hiring with advancement of university research goals, including increasing extramural funding and expanding collaborative, interdisciplinary and multifaceted research;
- Work closely with Human Resources and Deans of Academic Colleges in support of efficient and effective hiring and onboarding of faculty;
- Supervise the Office of Academic Budget and Personnel;
- Facilitate development, review and revision of policies impacting tenure-track and non-tenure track faculty;
- Provide leadership and oversight of faculty matters, including faculty development, promotion and tenure, well-being, new faculty orientation, shared governance, diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging, and faculty awards and recognitions;
- Work with the Provost’s office and Human Resources to onboard new deans and department chairs;
- Conduct reviews and makes recommendations related to faculty appointments, leaves, and grievances;
- Conduct and disseminate evidence-based research and reports related to faculty experience, salary, workload and equity;
- Build community among all faculty and utilizes virtual and physical spaces to support faculty exchange of ideas and collaboration.
- Doctoral degree
- Five or more years of related academic leadership with academic programming at the level of program director, department chair, or higher level administrative position
- Demonstrated successful experience as a department chair, dean or higher level administrative position in higher education
- Demonstrated record as a tenured faculty member
- Demonstrated knowledge of shared governance
- Research background or experience in faculty development
- Record of professional development or certification in diversity, equity and inclusion
- Experience with enterprise resource management technologies and applications
- Effective management and change leadership skills
- Demonstrated expertise in working with various internal and external constituencies, specifically in diverse organizations
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, analytical skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proven problem solving skills with strong attention to detail
About the Institution
Located in Greensboro, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University (NCA&T) is one of 17 institutions of The University of North Carolina (UNC) System and is an 1890 Land-grant doctoral research institution with a distinction in STEM education. The university is committed to fulfilling its fundamental purposes through exemplary undergraduate and graduate education, scholarly and creative research, and effective community engagement.
NCA&T is ranked third in research funding in the UNC System, behind UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State University since 2005.
As the University moves forward with plans to achieve R1 status, a new strategic plan for 2030 is being developed. The University recently released its new mission statement centering on advancing the human condition. https://www.ncat.edu/provost/mission-and-vision.php
Dr. Harold L. Martin Sr., an NCA&T alumnus has served as Chancellor since 2009. The Aggies compete in Division I of the NCAA and have been a member of the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference since 1969; as of July 1, 2021 NC A&T will join the Big South Conference.
The university is comprised of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences; College of Business and Economics, College of Education; College of Engineering; Honors College; College of Health and Human Sciences; College of Science and Technology; and the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, which is in collaboration with The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. The University offers 59 undergraduate degrees, 35 master’s degrees, 11 PhD programs, 43 online programs, and 45 certificate programs.
NC A&T provides a dynamic learning experience to all students that is responsive to current critical needs in higher education and in the disciplines. To learn more about the Division of Academic Affairs and its strategic plans, visit: https://www.ncat.edu/provost/academic-affairs/_files/doaa—p2023-refresh-goals.pdf
Living in the Area
Offering a 16.1% lower cost of living than the national average, Greensboro a city of 284,000, is a thriving, civic-minded city with something for everyone: shopping, restaurants, Symphony Orchestra, Community Theater, Opera Company, Civic Ballet, galleries, golf courses and many outstanding public and private recreation areas and facilities including more than 90 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and walking. It was voted a Top 10 Green City by Livability.com.
Greensboro is situated in the Piedmont Triad, an area of great natural beauty, diverse industry, cultural arts, and mild temperatures. North Carolina’s mountain resorts are an easy two-hour drive from Greensboro and the beaches of North and South Carolina are three to four hours away. The Research Triangle is about an hour and a half away. More information is available at: http://www.piedmonttriadnc.com/.
For full consideration, please apply by March 31, 2023
To be viewed by the search firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjyw8483
Please do not email applications.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vita. Ideally cover letters should not exceed two pages. All applications are treated confidentially.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially:
Inquiries and questions: Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations and referrals: Please send to email@example.com
Institution’s EEO Statement
North Carolina A&T State University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. No one who applies or seeks employment will be denied admission to or employment at North Carolina A&T State University on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disabling condition, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or sexual orientation and sexual identity.
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR NORWICH CAMPUS
To apply for this job please visit morrisville.interviewexchange.com. ABOUT SUNY MORRISVILLE: SUNY Morrisville, a college…View Job
Dean of the School of Business and Technology
Wayne State College
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com. Wayne State College Dean of the School…View Job
Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
Central Lakes College
To apply for this job please visit clcmn.peopleadmin.com. Central Lakes College Minnesota State Vice President…View Job
Founding Vice President of Education and Learning
Central New Mexico Community College
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com. Central New Mexico Community College Founding Vice…View Job