Job TitleChief Business Officer – College of Visual and Performing Arts
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Administrator
Salary Range -
Location Fairfax, VA US
Deadline June 23, 2022
Contact Name -
To apply for this job please visit jobs.gmu.edu.
George Mason University’s College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA) seeks an experienced financial management professional to serve as Chief Business Officer (CBO). The College of Visual and Performing Arts embraces a vibrant community of artists actively learning, teaching, practicing and creating a wide variety of art forms. Through our seven academic programs, two performing arts centers, and a community arts school, we educate the artists of tomorrow and inspire people of all ages to engage in the arts as creators, consumers and citizens.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the College:
The enterprises that CVPA manages have an annual operating budget of approximately $30 million (not including capital projects) with over 200 faculty and staff. The enterprises include the operations of the college’s seven academic units (School of Art, School of Dance, School of Music, School of Theater, Arts Management Program, Computer Game Design Program and Film and Video Studies Program). In addition, CVPA enterprises include the professional presenting and producing activities of the Center for the Arts and the Hylton Performing Arts Center, facilities rental of the two centers, and the Arts Support Umbrella, which works with academic departments on student and faculty exhibitions, concerts, recitals and productions. Also, CVPA manages the Mason Community Arts Academy, the Mason Game and Technology Academy, the Green Machine, and the Virginia Serious Game Institute, which is a business incubator for start-up companies in the Computer Game Design field.
About the Position:
The Chief Business Officer reports to the Dean of CVPA. The CBO facilitates the planning and implementation of the CVPA’s financial and operational vision as it relates to the full range of business functions and activities. The CBO facilitates short and long-range strategic planning for new and/or expanding academic and auxiliary programs; partnerships; revenue generation; budget development; finance and accounting; and human resources. The CBO will be accountable for and provide overall leadership, supervision, management, and coordination of these functions, as well as provide oversight for the development of implementation of policies and procedures to achieve desired outcomes. The CBO will maintain relationships with central administration and other University departments, as well as other units’ CBOs, and serve on the Enterprise Business Network (EBN) to facilitate these outcomes.
The CBO works collaboratively with CVPA’s deans and directors and central university administration to design and implement innovative and effective improvements in CVPA’s financial and administrative strategy, infrastructure, and processes. The CBO plays a leadership role in ensuring the successful future of CVPA’s multifaceted mission.
This position reports to the Dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts and supervises a team of professionals. All major financial and human resource functions of CVPA are centralized, so there is much interaction between the Central units and the CVPA Finance and HR staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervision & Oversight
The CBO performs the following duties through oversight of a support staff within the College. They will have supervisory responsibilities over functional unit leaders within CVPA and will ensure these leaders operate their units successfully. The CBO sets the strategy and vision for the functional units with the Dean, and oversees, guides, and delegates work to functional unit leaders. The CBO is expected to mentor, train, and develop functional Directors and/or other functional leaders. The CBO has accountability for the following functions:
Strategic Analysis & Planning
· Drive creative methods to manage and operate financial resources to allow for opportunities to advance CVPA’s strategic plan;
· Direct those in the College to produce analysis and projections related to traditional and nontraditional revenue opportunities;
· Develop annual forecasts and longer-term (3-5 year) financial plans for the College, and appropriate sub-units, considering the strategic initiatives of the University and the College. Include multiple scenarios that allow for changes to variables and “what if” analyses;
· Oversee short-term and long-range analyses to support management strategic plans. Examples may include:
· Budget Incentive Model;
· Program profit-loss analysis;
· Year-over-year financial revenue income and enrollment compression analysis;
· Term/Tenured faculty compensation compression analysis;
· Lines of Business analysis for performing arts venues.
Financial Management Oversight
· Oversee the annual operating budget process, including developing detailed budgets in support of multiple cost centers supporting departmental activities showing revenue, expense, and contribution to Central budget targets each fiscal year;
· Review detailed analyses of variances from budgets at year-end or ad hoc throughout the fiscal year. Identify budget risks and opportunities for savings;
· Review and approve budget justifications for submissions; appropriate adequate resources among programs to align with CVPA’s strategic goals. Oversee preparation of business case analyses for proposed initiatives and funding requests;
· Oversee and track separate revenue sources, such as tuition and fee revenue, earned auxiliary revenue, and research revenue;
· Implement tools and metrics to measure CVPA’s financial performance against plans/targets. Provide quarterly organizational financial reporting on unit variances against budget and prior year, including expenses, surpluses, spending trends, etc.;
· Provide financial management stewardship and oversight of internal controls, policies and procedures governing financial operations. Ensure compliance with State and University policies and procedures;
· Responsible for oversight and managing workflow for all fiscal activities;
· Respond to new initiatives and facilitate disbursement and management of funds appropriately;
· Oversee approval of all expenditures for CVPA, e.g., leases, travel forms, renovation funds, etc.
· Provide executive leadership over the recruitment and hiring process for CVPA in coordination with program and unit directors following the policies and guidance from Central HR;
· Oversee all processes including the job description approval process with the hiring manager and Classification & Compensation, establishing search committees, coordinating salary requirements, ensuring positions are posted, and ensuring coordination with Central HR takes place throughout the hiring and onboarding process. Ensure collaboration with Central Human Resources & Payroll Department;
· Provide executive leadership over the performance evaluation process for CVPA in accordance with Central HR guidance. Partner with the HR representative in the operating unit regarding compensation adjustments, personnel changes, and position management;
· Oversee personnel issues in collaboration with Central HR and supervisors to develop best course of action while ensuring compliance with state and University related rules. Ensure CVPA HR personnel liaise with Central HR Employee Relations Team for HR-related issues and concerns. Immediately escalate significant events or concerns;
· Foster employee alignment with University strategic goals, mission, and vision.
· Lead and motivate employees to enhance employee engagement. Support employee recognition initiatives;
· Promote diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) practices to be adopted and practiced within CVPA’s hiring and performance management policies.
Information Technology, Facilities, & Administration
· Supervise creation of an IT roadmap for CVPA, coordinating all IT hardware, software, and data needs for CVPA and liaise with central IT services as needed;
· Oversee approval of all proposed contracts prior to submission to Central Procurement;
· Create a review and approval process for changes (when necessary) to CVPA’s administrative policies;
· Oversee analysis of required space needs for CVPA and work with Facilities Management to design acceptable space and/or request space or new configurations as necessary;
· Develop and maintain an appropriate system of internal controls for CVPA’s fiscal policy;
· Monitor all expenditures in accordance with federal/state fiscal rules and the university’s fiscal policy. Assure compliance in anticipation of internal or external audits;
· Ensure authorized signature authorities for CVPA are monitored and updated.
Collaboration & Process Improvement
· Lead meetings for both internal and external customers, advise on and interpret policies and regulations and resolve complex issues. Facilitate budget consultation sessions with College leadership and staff to promote accountability within CVPA. Proactively educate CVPA’s community on updated policies and guidance;
· Serve on the Enterprise Business Network (EBN) to represent CVPA in collaboration with the greater University community;
· May serve as an EBN committee or organization co-chair;
· Identify areas for improvement across finance and administration that the EBN can collectively address.
Perform other related duties as assigned
· Master’s degree in a field related to business, accounting, finance, or fiscal management and 12 plus years of experience with progressively responsible and comparable duties and assignments. Additional years of experience and training may be substituted for a Master’s degree; B.A. or B.S. degree required;
· Significant, demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and managing financial and administrative policy, preferably in a university or non-profit environment;
· Collaborative management style. Demonstrated experience building effective teams and overseeing diverse professional and clerical staff;
· Expert knowledge of the principles and practices of budget planning, evaluation, and execution and familiarity with personnel, payroll, procurement, operational, and financial reporting;
· Demonstrated ability in promoting a team approach to efficiently carry out the functions of a finance and administration office;
· Exemplary communication skills (both written and oral), especially when communicating with a wide range of stakeholders with varying levels of financial acumen;
· Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills, and the ability to function independently;
· Experience aligning strategic initiatives with financial plans and forecasts;
· Excellent hands-on working knowledge of both federal and university grants management accounting policies and procedures.
· Demonstrated experience overseeing financial operations for complex organizations with various forms of revenue streams and allocations;
· Successful experience in managing and resolving conflict, building consensus, and making sound judgments in a complex environment;
· Demonstrated experience and a level of gravitas to interface at the executive-level.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA51JZ at https://jobs.gmu.edu by May 12, 2022; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit brandeis.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com. The Opportunity Brandeis University – a distinguished…View Job
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com. Hartwick College Director of the Griffiths Center…View Job