Job TitleAssistant Professor of Data Science
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Faculty
Salary Range -
Location Chicopee, MA US
Deadline January 30, 2022
Contact Name Jean Psholka
Department Human Resources
To apply for this job please visit http://www.elms.edu.
Assistant Professor of Data Science
Elms College located in Chicopee, MA invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Data Science. The Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Technology Division at Elms College, Chicopee, MA invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor, to begin August 2022. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in a field such as Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Data Analytics, Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, or a closely-related discipline by the time of appointment. We encourage applications from individuals with a commitment to enabling the success of underrepresented groups in STEM. Successful candidates should be prepared to engage actively with a diverse group of students across the liberal arts. This faculty position is primarily responsible for undergraduate course development and instruction at the traditional based campus program and the online and off-campus degree completion programs in fields related to Statistics and Data Analytics in STEM fields.
The faculty member is also responsible for actively participating in all aspects of the college community (teaching, scholarship and service) and to serve a primary role in the governance and organization of the program including academic planning, curriculum development and review, and student academic advising.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Teaches 4 courses a semester in in-person, hybrid, or online classes in their relevant field and cross-disciplinary in STEM, for example Statistics, Biostatistics, Business Statistics, Bioinformatics, Data Analytics, etc. We would like this position to teach at least 1 course in the Math department per year as well as other STEM courses in their relevant field.
· Proficient and able to communicate knowledge in spreadsheets, Python, R, and other statistical tools and programming languages.
· Participates in course development, curriculum planning, implementation and evaluation.
· Ability to promote and advise students in a caring learning environment with a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and student success.
· Contributes to the evaluation of student academic achievement and other evaluative processes of the College.
· Serves on College committees as appointed or elected and promotes the mission and purposes of the College in various internal and external activities.
· Remains current with the trends, issues and practices in the discipline.
· Engages actively in professional development and scholarly activities.
· Participates in recruitment and retention efforts, specific to the program, as needed.
× Doctorate degree in STEM and data related fields required.
× College level teaching experience required.
× Experience with web-based course delivery, instructional technology, and the design and development of instructional materials.
× Excellent interpersonal, communication (writing, speaking), problem solving, and analytical skills.
Send a cover letter including a teaching statement and a research statement, a resume and contact information for 3 professional references via email (as PDF attachments) to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Elms College’s diversity statement embodies the charism of the founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph, including embracing “the love of neighbor without distinction” and whose Catholic heritage guides our intellectual, social, educational, and community endeavors.
The College values diversity, equity, and inclusion in all curricular and co- curricular programs. We encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, members of ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply for our positions. We want to ensure all applicants demonstrate intercultural competence, commitment, and experience working with diverse populations, proven through educational background, professional development, and lived experience.
Elms College is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every qualification outlined in the job description. At Elms, we want to ensure we find the best candidate for the position, and we believe that candidate may come from a less traditional background. Therefore, if you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your experience and qualifications for the role.