Job TitleComputer Science, Assistant (Tenure-Track) Professor
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Faculty
Salary Range -
Location Bellevue, WA US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
Computer Science, Assistant (Tenure-Track) Professor
Job ID: 12423
Location: Bellevue College
Full/Part Time: Full Time
We are seeking a dynamic and dedicated computer science faculty to join our team as a full-time tenure track faculty member at Bellevue College, a highly respected college that is known for its academic excellence, supportive community, commitment to student success and its wide range of academic programs. The CS faculty performs duties and responsibilities under the general direction of Academic Affairs and Student Affairs and is responsible primarily to the Dean of the Science Division. Bellevue College is also the first community college in the state to offer a bachelor of science in computer science. Since we first launched the degree in 2017, it’s proved to be a tremendously successful pathway for our diverse communities. A successful candidate will be dedicated to teaching computer science at a diverse student-centered higher education institution and contributing to the ongoing development and success of our computer science program.
We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups who have experience creating supportive learning and work environments for diverse students and colleagues and individuals with demonstrated commitment to student success, and closing equity gaps in STEM fields, to apply.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule
Annual Salary Range: $70,923.89 – $99,471.30
Annual salary is based on a 176-day contract with a minimum of $70,923.89; beginning salary will be determined by the assessment of the candidate’s education and related experience. New hires cannot be placed above $76,047.89 (A3) unless exceptional circumstances prevail. Certain positions may also be eligible for assignment/project-based additional compensation, including a High Demand Stipend up to $8,350 annually, prorated based on the discipline and duration of the assignment. All additional compensations are subject to change depending on funding and negotiated agreement.
We offer comprehensive compensation package with salary and benefits as the main components. Generous https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/hr/benefits/ is offered through Washington State plans that includes multiple medical, dental, life and disability coverage choices for employees and dependents; choices of retirement and deferred compensation plans; paid personal leave plan; transit program, reduced tuition, employee discounts and memberships, etc.
In addition to teaching, full-time faculty maintains office hours and participate in department and college activities. This position is represented by the Bellevue College Association of Higher Education (BCAHE) union.
About The College
Bellevue College is a diverse student-centered, comprehensive and innovative college, committed to teaching excellence that advances the life-long educational development of its students while strengthening the economic, social and cultural life of its diverse community. Bellevue College is located just 10 miles east of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 54% students of color and over 1,300 international students. The college promotes student success by providing high-quality, flexible, accessible educational programs and services; advancing pluralism, inclusion and global awareness; and acting as a catalyst and collaborator for a vibrant region.
We strive to create a vibrant and inclusive campus community that supports a diverse student body, faculty and staff. As an essential part of our https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/futurevision/core-themes/, diversity, equity and pluralism are promoted and fostered in all aspects of college life. By enriching student life through leadership opportunities, personal learning and cultural experiences, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse campus community that fosters creativity, innovation and student success.
For more information, visit https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/facts/.
About the Department
Computer Science program at Bellevue College offers both AAS and BS degrees in Computer Science:
• AAS Degree in Computer Science: https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/cs/aas/
CS students at Bellevue College complete mostly Math, Physics, Humanities, and Social Science requirements as part of their first 2 years towards a 4-year degree at a university for transfer. This is actually the AAS 2-year degree (90 credits) at Bellevue College.
• BS in Computer Science: https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/cs/
In Fall 2016, Bellevue College received accreditation from the Northwest Commission for Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) to offer a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science. The first full class of first year students admitted to the degree in Fall 2017. The admission to BS in CS program is a selective and competitive process.
• Teach three 5-credit classes per quarter in the Fall, Winter, and Spring; or an equivalent course load. Class sizes typically range from 28 to 36 students.
• Create and revise course materials, including varied assessments of student knowledge.
• Design and facilitate learning experiences centered on student needs and interests by using varied instruction methods and resources.
• Hold at least five weekly office hours and generally assist students one-on-one both through electronic media and in-person.
• Use data, self-reflection and student/colleague feedback to revise your instruction, improve student success and better serve historically underserved, underrepresented, or marginalized student populations
• Grade and/or provide useful feedback to students in a way that promotes student understanding and improvement.
Non-teaching responsibilities include:
• Participate in curriculum design, assessment, and revisions aimed at 1) improvement of course relevancy and 2) promotion of educational equity in the classroom.
• Engage in professional-development opportunities on-and-off campus to maintain currency in applications, research and teaching methodology, and to stay up-to-date on campus programs and policies.
• Contribute to the department through service such as textbook selection, curriculum design, feedback regarding department policies and procedures, program and course-level effectiveness assessments, mentoring of adjunct faculty, and more.
• Contribute to the division, college, and community, such as through representation of faculty and department interests on division-wide and campus-wide committees.
• Participate in campus-wide efforts to dismantle barriers that can impact underrepresented and historically marginalized student populations.
• Provide culturally responsive and compassionate guidance and advising with an emphasis on the needs of historically marginalized student populations as they navigate courses and college systems.
More details are available on the contract and it can be accessed from https://bcahe.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/2021-24-BC-Faculty-Agreement-2022July.pdf.
• PhD or Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science or related discipline (must be completed by September 2023)
• Ability to teach a variety of undergraduate level computer science courses such as Data Structures, Programming Languages, Algorithms, Computer Architecture, Operating Systems, Software Engineering, Machine Learning, Cloud Computing, Web Programming, Database Systems, Computer Networks, and courses in Data Science field
• Experience in providing career guidance and academic advising for students or relevant skills to do so effectively
• Demonstrated experience in incorporating diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility into the teaching, learning, and/or mentoring
• Effective communication skills (to students and colleagues) in both written and oral form
• Experience completing tasks independently and as part of a team
• Teaching and/or working experience with historically underrepresented populations in STEM or working in marginalized communities.
• Relevant industry work experience in the field
• Experience with curriculum development and assessment
• Training and/or experience to effectively implement varied teaching methods (e.g. inquiry-based and project-based learning, group activities, effective online teaching)
• Demonstrated commitment to professional development and staying current in the field
• Experience in governance or other service to a campus, community, or workplace
• Effective implementation of accessible strategies using both specific accommodations and universal design
Conditions of Employment
Bellevue College intends to provide a drug-free, healthy, safe, and secure work and educational environment. Each employee is expected to report to work in an appropriate mental and physical condition to perform her/his/their assigned duties.
Bellevue College employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Bellevue College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated and your vaccine status will be verified upon hire. Please reach out to the HR Office at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org if you need information on medical or religious accommodation.
Sexual Misconduct and Background Check:
Prior to start of employment, finalists(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check as a condition of employment. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=28B.112.080.
Check frequently in your inbox, spam, junk, clutter email folders for any communication regarding the next steps from Bellevue College and our background check partners.
Reference checks may include, but are not limited to, contacting references and verification of work experience, and/or past job duties.
• This position is eligible for relocation allowance.
• Sponsorship for employment-based visa may be an option for full-time tenure-track faculty position only and depending upon applicants qualification.
How To Apply
Applications received by 03/17/2023 will be given full consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled. This position will begin Fall Quarter, 2023.
All individuals interested in this position are encouraged to apply. Your application must include a complete online application and all of the required documents below to be considered complete. Any application that does not provide all requested information will not be considered for the position (only submit required documents with the application, additional documents will not be reviewed.) Please review https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/jobs/applying-for-jobs-tips/ before applying. Current Bellevue College employees should apply the position through Employee Self Service.
Required application materials:
• Attach a Cover Letter (min 1 pg., max 2 pgs.)
• Attach a Resume/Curriculum Vitae
• Attach a statement of your Teaching Philosophy (max 2 pages)
• Attach a Diversity Statement (min 1 pg., max 2 pgs.) that addresses the following: Please provide specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, background or philosophy demonstrate your commitment to diversity and equity, and how these prepare you to contribute to Bellevue College. Please note that your Diversity Statement must be a separate response from your Teaching Philosophy
• Attach couse evaluations from the most recent quarters/semesters you have taught, if any
• Attach a copy of academic transcripts (unofficial transcripts may be submitted – official transcripts required upon employment)
• Complete Job Questionnaires if applicable
If you have questions with regards to the application or the hiring process, please contact Office of Human Resources at 425-564-2274 or email to mailto:email@example.com.
Bellevue College is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing equal opportunity and nondiscrimination to applicants and employees without regard to race or ethnicity; creed; color; national origin; sex; marital status; sexual orientation; age; religion; genetic information; the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability; or whether a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran. Please see policy 4100 at http://www.bellevuecollege.edu/policies/.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance with the recruitment process may contact mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-564-2271. The following people have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Title IX Coordinator, 425-564- 2641, Office C227, and EEOC/504 Compliance Officer, 425-564- 2178, Office B126.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3943788
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
University Of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth
To apply for this job please visit jobs.untsystem.edu. values-driven organization with a deep commitment to…View Job
University of Illinois
To apply for this job please visit illinois.csod.com. The Department of Kinesiology and Community Health,…View Job
To apply for this job please visit jobs.csuchico.edu. Assistant or Associate Professor Position Electrical and…View Job