Job TitleAcademic Department Coordinator/Administrative Assistant to Faculty Lecture Committee
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Staff
Salary Range -
Location Amherst, MA
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Human Resources
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.
Academic Department Coordinator/Administrative Assistant to Faculty Lecture Committee
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Academic Department Coordinator/Administrative Assistant to the Faculty Lecture Committee. The Academic Department Coordinator is a full-time, academic year position (40 hours/week for 42 weeks, 10 hours/week for 10 weeks), starting at $25.06 – commensurate with experience. Given Amherst’s distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Academic Department Coordinator (ADC) supports the administration and logistical efforts of the Philosophy Department and the Faculty Lecture Committee. The ADC serves as a liaison to the campus community and ensures the efficient operation of the department office. The position of ADC requires sensitivity to issues of confidentiality, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills, as well as the ability to multitask, to exercise diplomacy, and to work with a strong attention to detail. The Academic Department Coordinator takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce, participates in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment for faculty, staff, and all students.
Summary of Responsibilities
• Serve as Office Manager and perform all duties in collaboration with the department chair on budgets, equipment, and supplies, as well as facilitate communication between the department and administration to ensure various deadlines are met.
• Assist in tenure and reappointment by managing the course evaluation process at the end of each semester and preparing materials for the tenure and reappointment process. Compile information for the reappointment and tenure dossiers (create and compile course evaluations, contact and collect letters from both external and internal reviewers, collect retrospective letters, draft letters, etc.)
• Serve as a liaison to students, and provide support and information regarding the honors program, thesis events, scholarships, etc.
• Coordinate faculty searches including placing ads, communicating with candidates, and scheduling interviews and campus visits.
• New faculty onboarding (ensuring the creation of Amherst College account, email, Workday account, Moodle account, ordering keys, assisting with the acquisition of ID, parking decal, and computer, etc.).
• Process expense reimbursements on behalf of faculty members.
• Hire student interns on behalf of faculty members (create job requisitions, process applications, assign/ updating costing allocations, and end student employment in Workday)
• Learn new software such as “Workday” for day-to-day use and paying expenses.
• Keep faculty members appraised on their internal award balance.
• Serve as one of the costing center managers.
• Order supplies and process credit card charges
• Run reports and keep track of charges on the departmental account and gift funds; submit cost transfer requests when needed.
• Maintain departmental calendar, and contribute to the Five-College Philosophy Calendar
• Maintain Philosophy Majors Photo Gallery current
• Water departmental plants
• Maintain department /Kennick Reading Room and library, as well as the reservation system for use of Reading room and library.
• Submit new course proposals and corrections in the course catalog editor; in coordination with other ADCs, create cross-listed courses; enter meeting patterns for courses in accordance with the college’s guidelines and enter classroom requests; ensure the correct course information has been migrated into Workday.
• Process copyright permissions for readings shared via course readers, handouts, and Moodle
• Create pdf files of readings and compile them into course readers; distribute course readers; submit reimbursement charges to the Controller’s Office
• Place book orders at the local bookstore and the library course reserves
• Create, download, and anonymize course evaluations
• Hire student tutors/graders on Workday, record student grades, coordinate exam reviews, etc.
• Coordinate the annual Forry and Micken Lecture Series and the annual Amherst Lecture in Philosophy lecture as well as Joseph Epstein Lecture Fund and Department lectures (including, advertisement, photography, recording, venue, AV,, department dinner, and reception).
• Assist and coordinate the newly created fall Philosophy Faculty Lecture Series.
• Coordinate lodging and travel for speakers. Process honorarium payment and reimbursement for speakers.
• Coordinate special receptions and luncheons for the various events.
• Maintain the Five-College Philosophy website and Department Event website with all updated information on faculty and calendar.
Administrative Assistant to Faculty Lecture Committee:
• Assist staff/faculty members with filing out fund request form
• Serve as liaison between the committee and faculty/staff members of the College
• Maintain spreadsheets and financial information on all Lecture funds.
• Serve as a liaison between the committee and the Controller’s office.
• Update the Faculty Lecture’s website (committee members’ information, fund request form, event information, lecture recording, etc.) when appropriate.
• Enter all requested submission of funding and input information into the spreadsheet for Lecture Committee review.
• Attend weekly meetings and take notes.
• Write all allocation letters, keeping track of the allocation numbering system. Send letters/emails out to faculty members with funding information and allocation number. Send copies of all allocation letters to counterparts in the Controller’s office.
• Compile information for the annual chair’s report.
• Send out information on Lazerowitz annual lecture and once the Committee members have chosen the Lazerowitz lecturer, send materials to the various offices such as Provost and Dean of the Faculty, Donor Relations Department, Chair of chosen Lazerowitz lecture, etc. Consult with the Provost and Dean of the Faculty regarding the date in April and then work with the lecturer to create publicity, secure the lecture hall, and arrange catering for reception when on campus.
• High School Diploma
• 3 to 5 years of related experience
• Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, time-management, organizational, and customer-service skills
• Ability to take initiative, work independently, and work collaboratively
• Demonstrated high level of attention to detail
• Sensitivity to issues of confidentiality
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, ability to learn new software
• Experience working collaboratively with a diverse community
• Associate’s Degree
• 5 years or more of related experience at an academic institution
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for https://www.amherst.edu/offices/human_resources/benefitshttps://www.amherst.edu/offices/human_resources/benefits.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.(Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4606151
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net. Bentley University Job Description Summary The…View Job
AV Support Assistant/Media Services Technician – Level, 1 (Temporary to Permanent) – Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY
Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY
To apply for this job please visit cuny.jobs. Position Title: AV Support Assistant/Media Services…View Job