Dean, Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of MedicineMarshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Job TitleDean, Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Position TypeFull Time
Job Category Executive
Salary Range -
Location Huntington, WV US
Application Deadline -
Contact Name Abby Walsh
Marshall University seeks an outstanding leader, educator, clinician, and program builder to serve as Dean of the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine. The next Dean will be an innovative, dynamic, and transformative leader of high integrity who can build on the school’s unique strengths and mission to maximize its positive impact on students, trainees, and the regional community.
The Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine is a state-supported, community-based medical school established in 1977. Marshall University is dedicated to providing high quality medical education and postgraduate training programs to foster a skilled physician workforce to meet the unique healthcare needs of West Virginia and central Appalachia. The faculty and administration are committed to education emphasizing primary care at a relatively modest cost with both self-reliance and community support.
Consistency in mission and innovation in execution characterize the history of the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine. Its small size and community integrated structure have helped make the school uncommonly responsive to the region’s educational and health-care needs. Marshall quickly began building a reputation for effective, strikingly innovative programs geared toward the challenges of rural primary care. Through the school’s network of rural clinical sites, students gain first-hand knowledge of rural health issues. Over the years, Marshall has carefully but steadily implemented curricular changes designed to produce more and better qualified physicians entering the primary care specialties. Marshall has always ranked high in the percentage of graduates entering primary care.
The research enterprise at the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine is a growing and vibrant operation. Basic scientists and physician researchers work collaboratively to advance life-changing discoveries and innovations resulting in dynamic bench to bedside opportunities. True to their mission of providing health care and education to Appalachia, much of the clinical and basic research is focused on health issues related to rural populations.
Marshall Health is the clinical arm of Marshall University and its Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine. Marshall Health brings together a comprehensive care team of more than 425 providers in 75 areas of primary and specialty care. As part of an academic health system, Marshall Health is committed to improving access to care throughout southern West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky through advanced technologies and research that benefit its patients and the communities it serves. With more than 1,700 employees, Marshall Health is one of West Virginia’s top 25 largest employers.
This position sits on the Marshall University President’s Cabinet and reports directly to the President of Marshall University, with academic and research oversight from the university provost. Brad Smith, an alumnus and proud West Virginian, became the President of Marshall University in 2022. President Smith previously served for 11 years as CEO of Intuit, a fortune 500 company. With his passion for leadership and philanthropy, he has turned his attention and talent to transforming Marshall University.
The Dean serves as the chief medical executive of the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, leading the faculty and staff of the school in planning, securing resources, implementing and evaluating activities related to academic operations, research, service and patient care programs. The Dean actively participates in various institutional planning, implementing and evaluating activities.
The ideal successful candidate will preferably demonstrate the following competencies, knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes:
· A highly credible and respected leader.
· An M.D. (or equivalent) degree and the academic rank of full professor is preferred.
· Eligibility for West Virginia licensure as a medical doctor.
· A significant leadership role in or at the departmental or administrative level in an accredited medical school and/or an academic medical center.
· Keen insights into the range of opportunities and challenges within medical education, the medical profession, graduate medical education and health care.
· Strong experience and passion for rural medicine and the unique health care needs of Appalachia, particularly with respect to primary care.
· A successful track record of recruiting, retaining and mentoring faculty.
· A successful track record as a visionary, passionate leader, creative builder and implementer – one who can make difficult decisions as necessary and hold others accountable.
· A commitment to empowering chairs, other leaders, faculty, staff and students to advance the educational programs in order to achieve academic excellence.
· The ability to manage an academic organization and work effectively and collaboratively with community leaders, interdisciplinary professionals and colleagues in a complex university health sciences program.
· A strong background and understanding of basic, clinical and translational research with experience at a R1 or strong R2 institution with graduate research (PhD) education.
· An understanding of graduate medical education, scholarship, clerkships and clinical practice issues in a community-based environment.
· Excellent understanding of higher education shared governance and track record of academic and scholarly interprofessional collaboration.
· Strong business and financial acumen.
· The ability to communicate effectively with stakeholder groups of diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to faculty, students, staff, alumni, donors, academic leadership, community leaders, hospital executives, community physicians, lay audiences, governmental representatives and the media.
Marshall University has retained Grant Cooper, an executive search firm, to lead this search. More information about this opportunity can be found at: https://diversifiedsearchgroup.com/search/dean-joan-c-edwards-school-of-medicine/
Interest in the position or questions regarding the process, may be directed to Abby Walsh, senior associate at Grant Cooper, at email@example.com or 314-686-0643. The position is open until filled. However, only applications received by March 6, 2023, can be assured full consideration.
Dean, School of Pharmacy
To apply for this job please visit acesrch.applicantstack.com. South University Dean, School of Pharmacy …View Job
Marketing Division, F.W. OLIN DISTINGUISHED CHAIR OF GLOBAL BUSINESS
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net. Job Description : Marketing Division: The Marketing…View Job
Chief Diversity Officer
San Jose State University
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com. Chief Diversity Officer San José State…View Job
General Counsel, Secretary of the Board of Governors and University Privacy Officer
Toronto Metropolitan University
To apply for this job please visit careers.torontomu.ca. About Toronto Metropolitan At the intersection of…View Job